Royal Family Didn't Protect Meghan Markle, Court Documents Say
Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, felt unprotected by the British royal family while she was pregnant with her son Archie, according to London High Court documents.
Meghan, wife of Queen Elizabeth's grandson Prince Harry, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles its Mail on Sunday newspaper printed last year which included parts of a handwritten letter she had sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.
Markle and her father have not spoken since he pulled out of appearing at her wedding to Harry in May 2018 after undergoing heart surgery and following news he had staged photos with a paparazzi photographer, according to Reuters.
The Mail justified publishing the letter by saying five unnamed friends of Meghan, who gave birth to Archie in May 2019, had put her version of events in interviews with the US magazine People.
"The Claimant had become the subject of a large number of false and damaging articles by the UK tabloid media, specifically by the Defendant, which caused tremendous emotional distress and damage to her mental health," her lawyers said in a submission to the High Court.
"As her friends had never seen her in this state before, they were rightly concerned for her welfare, specifically as she was pregnant, unprotected by the Institution, and prohibited from defending herself," they added.
The legal action comes after the Sussexes announced the boycott of four of the main British tabloids for publishing fake news and spreading misinformation. In a letter to Meghan's father before the wedding, Prince Harry said: "Tom, Harry again! Really need to speak to u. U do not need to apologize, we understand the circumstances but going public will only make the situation worse."
"So please call me so I can explain. Meg and I are not angry, we just need to speak to u. Thanks. Oh any speaking to the press WILL backfire, trust me Tom. Only we can help u, as we have been trying from day 1," he continued.