Wendell: 'Brazilian Players Have a Higher Value as We Produce the Best'

Wendell in action for Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League earlier this season. Photograph: Lukas Schulze/Bongarts/Getty Images
Wendell in action for Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League earlier this season. Photograph: Lukas Schulze/Bongarts/Getty Images
TT

Wendell: 'Brazilian Players Have a Higher Value as We Produce the Best'

Wendell in action for Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League earlier this season. Photograph: Lukas Schulze/Bongarts/Getty Images
Wendell in action for Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League earlier this season. Photograph: Lukas Schulze/Bongarts/Getty Images

For some Brazilians, the road to approbation in European football is bumpy. The most obvious obstacle is the playing style – higher paced, less forgiving – and there are the additional challenges of the climate, language, food and baffling local customs. But the route Wendell followed when he moved from Rio Grande do Sul to North-Rhine Westphalia as a fresh-faced 20-year-old in June 2014 had been smoothed by years of use.

Brazil and Bayer Leverkusen have a long-running and intense love affair. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, Seleção stalwarts Jorginho, Emerson, Zé Roberto and Juan each racked up more than 100 games for the club. Paulo Sérgio was a Bayer player when he won the World Cup in 1994, as was Lúcio when he won football’s greatest prize in 2002.

“The tradition helped a lot”, says Wendell. “The club has a bit more patience with you. Zé Roberto told me that I was in the right place to be arriving in Europe, because they give all the support possible for Brazilian players, if you need someone to sort something out with the council or if something in your house breaks and you need it fixed. It gives you tranquillity and security. You only worry about playing football.”

This season, his sixth in Germany, Wendell became the first South American to reach 200 appearances for Bayer and, though they finished a disappointing fifth in the Bundesliga, he still has two chances of doing what none of his Brazilian predecessors managed: winning a trophy at the club. In August, Bayer will play a Europa League last-16 second leg against Rangers, having won 3-1 in Glasgow. And, a little more pressingly, Bayer face Bayern Munich in the German Cup final on Saturday afternoon.

Bayern have crushed everyone since the Bundesliga resumed in mid-May, winning 10 straight games, including a 4-2 victory over Bayer. But Wendell, who says he has been thoroughly impressed by the way German authorities have handled the return of football, is undaunted. “Bayern is the best game you can play,” he says excitedly. “It makes you run more, apply yourself more, go for it even harder. And it means that we can play the way we like, too. The best games are against the big teams because you have the possibility to attack them.”

In the 18 months since the arrival of manager Peter Bosz, attack is something they have done well. The Dutchman went to Leverkusen under something of a cloud, after a brief and unsuccessful spell at Borussia Dortmund. But Wendell says Bosz has proven himself to be a “great coach”, injecting the team with a new verve. “Before him, we played on the counter,” says Wendell. “But he likes us to play with the ball, to keep possession in every game to make the other teams run. We are an offensive team, a team that takes the game to the opposition.”

Their fans, he says, have responded well to that change in approach. But they will be forced to play without them once more on Saturday. “You feel more secure playing with your fans, it gives you more strength. Here in Germany you feel it even more because the stadiums are always full.” But he also believes that empty stadiums make games “more even”, which could favour them in the final.

That 4-2 defeat to Bayern at the start of June, he says, was instructive rather than intimidating. “What stayed with us is the difficulty that we created for ourselves. We became desperate, and let Bayern win the game in the first half. We lacked a bit of wisdom on the pitch. We need to take lessons from the first time we faced them in the Bundesliga this season, in Munich, when we won 2-1. We need to apply ourselves in the same way we did then.”

If they can learn those lessons and stay in the game longer than they managed a month ago, Bayer have a player capable of winning matches against even the best opponents. Kai Havertz’s performances this season have drawn admiring glances from Chelsea and Liverpool, and Wendell believes the 21-year-old is destined for great things. “He’s a complete player. If you play him as a No 9, as a No 10 a little bit behind, or out wide, he will know what to do. He understands what the manager wants. He finishes well with both feet. He’s strong with his head. He has good technique. Psychologically, the Germans are very focused people. They are very concentrated on what they want. If he goes to the Premier League, he will learn a lot. I think Kai dreams of playing there. He has that desire. If he decides to play in England, he will be a success.”

Wendell appears open to the possibility that he too may one day play in England. “It’s a league that everyone wants to play in, it’s so good to watch,” he says. If he does move to the Premier League, he would be part of a trend. In the 12 seasons between 1997 and 2009, no team won the Bundesliga without a Brazilian player. Now though, that knot has loosened. Wendell says that is because German clubs have started to look a little further. “Argentina already exported like Brazil, but now you have Chileans, Uruguayans, Colombians. And they cost less than if you sign a Brazilian player. Brazilian players have a higher value because we are the ‘país do futebol’, because we produce the best players.”

That widening of horizons is evident at Bayer, where Jamaican forward Leon Bailey, Chilean midfielder Charles Aránguiz and the Argentinian duo of Lucas Alário and Exequiel Palacios often line up together. But that bond with Brazil remains and the club added young forward Paulinho in 2018. Signed from Vasco da Gama, Paulinho moved to Leverkusen as soon as he turned 18 and is an example of a growing trend. “Twenty is almost the maximum [age for a Brazilian to move] now,” Wendell says. “At 25 you’re already old for Europe. More and more, the clubs are bringing players at 18. Look at Paulinho, Vinicius Jr. Rodrygo. It might be because there will be greater competition [to sign them] in the future.

“Paulinho has been working really well during the two years he’s been here. But it’s better for people to come with more experience. Sometimes it will not go well and the player will end up going back. A lot of the time it’s not the player’s fault, it’s because they got there too young.”

Despite that risk, he says, European clubs will always turn to South American players, not only for their technical skill, but for a psychological attribute that is sometimes overlooked.

“We always want to win,” he says emphatically. “We never accept a draw or a defeat. All South Americans are like that. We always want to be the champion.” Wendell has a chance to show the world what he means against Bayern on Saturday.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."