How Klopp-Ball: Merseyside Edition Was Launched by Liverpool at the Etihad

 Roberto Firmino scores Liverpool’s third goal, and his first for the club, away to Manchester City in November 2015. Photograph: Jon Super/AP
Roberto Firmino scores Liverpool’s third goal, and his first for the club, away to Manchester City in November 2015. Photograph: Jon Super/AP
TT

How Klopp-Ball: Merseyside Edition Was Launched by Liverpool at the Etihad

 Roberto Firmino scores Liverpool’s third goal, and his first for the club, away to Manchester City in November 2015. Photograph: Jon Super/AP
Roberto Firmino scores Liverpool’s third goal, and his first for the club, away to Manchester City in November 2015. Photograph: Jon Super/AP

As Liverpool enter the Etihad Stadium on Thursday they will be greeted by the echoey weirdness that is part of playing football right now. But they will hear the birds sing as the champions baton is passed to them by Manchester City, and for Jürgen Klopp there will also be whispers from a game that took place there five years ago and which can be looked upon as the start of the glory he has brought to the club.

Saturday 21 November 2015 – Manchester City 1 Liverpool 4. It was a blitz as emphatic as it was unexpected. A rampant display by those in red and what was up to that point the undoubted high point of Klopp’s reign as Liverpool manager – perhaps not saying much given there had only been seven previous games and three of those had been draws while another was a home defeat to Crystal Palace. Nevertheless, it was the high point, partly because of the result but mainly because of the performance. The first, full-on display of Klopp-ball: Merseyside edition.

The visitors were aggressive and explosive, destabilising City with a concerted counterpress and moving the ball not only quickly and sharply but across various angles. Their play was bewitching, summed up by the opening goal, which arrived after only seven minutes and saw Eliaquim Mangala put the ball into his own net after making a mess (typically, some may say) of trying to keep out Roberto Firmino’s cross.

“Liverpool have been knocking the ball around with some confidence,” said Martin Tyler on commentary and that was especially evident in their next two goals as Firmino put another cross into the area, this time for Philippe Coutinho to finish, and then, on 32 minutes, the Brazilians switched roles to put Liverpool 3-0 up via the move of the game – patient, confident and studded with a gorgeous backheel by Emre Can. “That is absolutely brilliant,” said Gary Neville, also commentating. The praise was justified. Liverpool had a big lead in the blink of an eye, and while City responded via Sergio Agüero’s strike a minute before half-time they never did enough to reverse the tide that was overwhelming them. Indeed it was Liverpool who scored again via Martin Skrtel’s rasping shot on 81 minutes. Game well and truly over.

It was a stunning win. Sure, City were not the side they had been or would become, stuttering as they were through Manuel Pellegrini’s final season in charge, but they were still formidable opposition, especially at home. On this occasion however, in front of their own fans, they had been torn to shreds. “It was a complete disaster,” said Pellegrini after the final whistle, his expression more haunted and haggard than usual.

The manager felt that had been because of City’s sloppiness, in defence as well as attack. He had a point but the underlying truth was that Liverpool were just too good for them, finishing the game with less possession than City (42%) but having run further – 110.36km to 108.46km – and delivered more shots on goal – 23 to 14.

The hard running had been there in previous matches, most strikingly in Klopp’s first in charge – the goalless draw at Tottenham on 17 October. But what elevated this performance above the rest, including the 3-1 victory away to champions Chelsea on Halloween, was its quality and cohesion, and central to this, literally as well as figuratively, was Firmino.

The Brazilian went into the City game with his value to Liverpool clouded in uncertainty. Things had not been going well for the 24-year-old since his £29m arrival from Hoffenheim in June, mainly under Brendan Rodgers but also under Klopp. The German had twice started Firmino as a No 10 and once, in the win at Stamford Bridge, as a lone forward, and while he did OK his contributions were neither sparkling or potent. There had been no goals and little to write home about.

But that all changed at the Etihad. Firmino was again deployed centrally but this time as a false nine in a three-man frontline, given the licence to move into dangerous positions inside the area and also drift across the attacking line, all the while supported by, and supporting, the forwards either side of him. Sound familiar?

It was the start of the Bobbylution, and while Firmino wasn’t the best player on the pitch – that was Coutinho, who started on the left of the front three with Adam Lallana on the right – he was formidable, scoring the first goal of his Liverpool career, providing the assists for two others and generally tormenting City with his guile and swagger. His talents shone (as did those teeth), the first notable contribution from a fundamental figure in the team that has gone on to conquer Europe, the world and actually what mattered most: England.

Like the bulletin board in Kujan’s office at the end of The Usual Suspects, it turns out the clues were there all along on that cold Manchester evening. The intent, effort, tactical and technical expertise, and what Klopp has done since is build on those foundations, overhauling his squad to ensure it is capable of achieving the required levels of quality and consistency (Firmino aside, only three players from that matchday squad remain at the club), and fostering a sense of unity on and off the pitch that means Liverpool are not just a hugely successful club but also a happy one.

And it is fitting their first game after ending that three-decade yearning for the league title should be against City. The team that has pushed them the hardest and become their most intense rival during the Klopp era – and at whose home the manager’s brilliant fire well and truly burst into life.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."