Algerian Former Army Chief’s ‘Confidant’ Appears before Judge

Demonstrators wave Algerian flags during a protest over fears of plot to prolong the Algerian president's rule, on Place de la Republique in Paris, in March 2019. (Getty Images)
Demonstrators wave Algerian flags during a protest over fears of plot to prolong the Algerian president's rule, on Place de la Republique in Paris, in March 2019. (Getty Images)
TT

Algerian Former Army Chief’s ‘Confidant’ Appears before Judge

Demonstrators wave Algerian flags during a protest over fears of plot to prolong the Algerian president's rule, on Place de la Republique in Paris, in March 2019. (Getty Images)
Demonstrators wave Algerian flags during a protest over fears of plot to prolong the Algerian president's rule, on Place de la Republique in Paris, in March 2019. (Getty Images)

A military court in Algiers questioned First Lieutenant Guermit Bounouira, the personal aide of the former army chief of staff, about charges against him after his extradition from Turkey last week.

Sources familiar with the case told Asharq Al-Awsat that the military investigating judge confronted him with incidents classified as crimes related to national defense, including “communicating with people abroad, who are wanted by arrest warrants, and providing them with military information.”

The indictment against Bounouira also includes illegally transferring money abroad with the aim of buying property and real estate, and exploiting his military position for his own profit.

Bounouira is being held him in pretrial detention pending trial. If convicted, heavy sentences await the confidant of former Army Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Ahmed Gaid Salah, who died in late 2019.

Bounouira left the country early this year after reports that the Military Security Service was investigating his property and relations outside the military establishment. However, he was extradited back to the country after high-level talks with the Turkish authorities.

Separately, Algiers’ Misdemeanor Court called a four-year prison sentence against journalist Khaled Drareni, and protest movement, or Hirak, activists Samir Benlarbi and Slimane Hamitouche, on charges of “inciting unarmed gathering” and undermining the nation's “territorial integrity.”

The public prosecutor also requested that they be deprived of civil rights for a period of four years.

Drareni, who was imprisoned for four months, denied the accusations, and informed the judge during the interrogation done via “Skype” that the authorities imprisoned him because he was covering anti-government protests, adding that he also reported on demonstrations supporting the government.

He stressed that he was doing his job and “exercising his right to inform”, denying accusations that he was spreading hatred or threatening national unity.

The journalist was asked about posts on his Twitter account, in which he expressed his positions against the authority, and said that as a journalist and a citizen, he has the right to express his opinion.

The judge also questioned him about publishing information of the opposition, and he replied that this is journalistic duty.

President Abdelmadjid Tebboune accused the journalist, without naming him, of giving information to the French embassy.

Unlike Drareni, Benlarbi and Hamitouche were released on bail in July and were both present in court on Monday. They defended their constitutional right to participate in peaceful demonstrations.

A few months ago, Benlarbi was acquitted of the charge of “weakening army morale” after spending four months in pretrial detention. Hamitouche was also imprisoned for his opposition political activity.

About 38 lawyers and activists filed for the defense of all three detainees, saying the charges against them are political and they are accused of “wanting a better future for Algerians.”



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.