Fulham Can Learn From Their 2018 Promotion Which Soon Turned Sour

 Fulham’s manager, Scott Parker, celebrates with his unlikely matchwinner Joe Bryan, who scored both their goals in the 2-1 win over Brentford at Wembley. Photograph: Shaun Brooks/Action Plus/Shutterstock
Fulham’s manager, Scott Parker, celebrates with his unlikely matchwinner Joe Bryan, who scored both their goals in the 2-1 win over Brentford at Wembley. Photograph: Shaun Brooks/Action Plus/Shutterstock
TT

Fulham Can Learn From Their 2018 Promotion Which Soon Turned Sour

 Fulham’s manager, Scott Parker, celebrates with his unlikely matchwinner Joe Bryan, who scored both their goals in the 2-1 win over Brentford at Wembley. Photograph: Shaun Brooks/Action Plus/Shutterstock
Fulham’s manager, Scott Parker, celebrates with his unlikely matchwinner Joe Bryan, who scored both their goals in the 2-1 win over Brentford at Wembley. Photograph: Shaun Brooks/Action Plus/Shutterstock

The ball thudded into the net as David Raya, seemingly in slow motion, scrambled in vain to prevent Joe Bryan’s freakish free-kick from creeping inside his right goalpost but perhaps the most striking image of the Championship play-off final arrived after the final whistle, when an emotional Scott Parker was trying to put it all into words.

Moments earlier, as tears pooled in his eyes, Parker buried his head in Aleksandar Mitrovic’s shoulder. He was elated but exhausted after a campaign that began with pre-season testing 409 days earlier culminated in the Fulham players bobbing up and down in a deserted Wembley, basking in the joy of promotion.

But enjoying it, Parker says, is not the best way to put it. “You can’t really, you can’t,” he said, tightening his shoulders, his voice cracking slightly.

“You win a football match and by the time you get to Saturday night and you’re drinking a beer or having a little bit of a Chinese, all of a sudden you’re thinking about Monday morning and what the next game is.

“We live in a world and [work in] a profession where you win a game but lose the next one and you’re deemed as a failure. I hope after tomorrow I can sit down with the family – with my wife and kids – who for the last year have probably been [walking] on eggshells at different moments, and they can just get their husband back, get their dad back. When you’re going at 100mph, sometimes you lose sight of other things and I’ve probably done that – family and everything else.”

Parker hopes to have a breather before returning to the coalface next week, acutely aware the Premier League season is five weeks away. His honesty was refreshing, a fascinating snapshot of the 24/7 life of a manager, and spoke volumes regarding the painstaking process of picking up the pieces after a relegation season that had featured three managers, a conveyor belt of lavish signings and left the squad nursing psychological scars.

Parker was handed a hospital pass – the ruins of a spectacular failure and a divided dressing room – when taking permanent charge last May. He deserves immense credit for putting the jigsaw back together and building a team Fulham can be proud of.

Bryan credits Parker with overhauling a “losing culture” and the manager also harnessed great expectations. “When you’re expected to win a league by 20 points after a disappointing season, it’s difficult,” he said.

This time Fulham must not rip it up, nor throw another £100m at the transfer market and hope it sticks. “We need to keep the team spirit together – I think we lost that a little bit too early the last time we went up,” said the captain, Tom Cairney.

Beyond Mitrovic, two key players had a point to prove: Harrison Reed, the Southampton midfielder who has spent the past three seasons on loan at different clubs, and Michael Hector, a serial loanee. Tony Khan, the Fulham director of football, tells of how he persuaded Hector to sign by showing off his medal from the promotion season under Slavisa Jokanovic in 2018, saying the defender would have one of his own if he came to Craven Cottage.

Hector had to make do with training and no matches for four months before being able to play because his deadline-day transfer was not registered in time. The defender, an £8m acquisition from Chelsea, for whom he never featured, was worth waiting for, and the club could do worse than make Reed’s stay permanent.

Mitrovic could also do with a helping hand in attack, with Cairney the second-highest scorer on eight goals, Bobby Decordova-Reid having struggled to reprise his prolific final season at Bristol City.

One of the most alarming aspects of Fulham’s last top-flight stay was the goalkeeping situation. Fabri, a £5m signing, started the first two games and never played another minute. Marcus Bettinelli, the first choice en route to the 2018 promotion, returned for the third game but was back on the bench by October. Then it was Sergio Rico’s turn but the Sevilla loanee endured a torrid time, conceding 61 league goals.

Parker addressed the issue this season, dropping Bettinelli and handing a then 22-year-old Marek Rodak his debut in October. In the following game the Slovakia international was sent off after 17 minutes.

“It was a big call for me to bring Marek in, a young boy who had experience at Rotherham [on loan in 2017-18 and 2018-19] but in terms of coming into this environment it was very different,” Parker said. “He has got his opportunity and not looked back, kept his shirt and deservedly so. He has someone pushing him who we all know could fill that shirt, so he’s done very well.”

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.