'A Tough, Tough Task': Tindall Steps Into Howe's Shoes at Bournemouth

Jason Tindall says he is ‘ready to take the club forward and hopefully get the club back to the Premier League’.
Photograph: AFC Bournemouth/Getty Images
Jason Tindall says he is ‘ready to take the club forward and hopefully get the club back to the Premier League’. Photograph: AFC Bournemouth/Getty Images
TT

'A Tough, Tough Task': Tindall Steps Into Howe's Shoes at Bournemouth

Jason Tindall says he is ‘ready to take the club forward and hopefully get the club back to the Premier League’.
Photograph: AFC Bournemouth/Getty Images
Jason Tindall says he is ‘ready to take the club forward and hopefully get the club back to the Premier League’. Photograph: AFC Bournemouth/Getty Images

When Eddie Howe called Jason Tindall to tell him he would be taking a break from management, the latter’s holiday in Croatia was about to get a lot more hectic. “Every couple of hours I had my son in my ear, saying: ‘Dad, are you going to be a manager, are you going to be manager?’” says Tindall, smiling. “The more I said to him: ‘I’m not sure,’ he said: ‘Well, what else are you going to do?’ When I asked myself that question, it made my decision that little bit easier.”

Tindall, whose 10-year-old son, Levi, is in the club’s academy, returned to Bournemouth last Friday and, having sought assurances from the club’s Russian owner, Maxim Demin, that there would not be a mass exodus of prized assets, he signed a three-year contract to succeed Howe, with whom he played before sharing an office for 12 years after 569 matches as his assistant manager.

Together they went on a remarkable journey, from putting their hands in their own pockets to cover the cost of a fitness coach and masseur in League Two to the heady days of the Premier League, where they spent five seasons before relegation last month, prompting Howe’s departure that signaled the end of an era.

Nathan Aké has since joined Manchester City for £41m, while Sheffield United are expected to increase their offer for their former goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale after having a £12m bid rejected. Callum Wilson and Joshua King, who is out of contract next summer, are also likely to depart but Bournemouth are determined to compete for promotion next season.

“If the club turned around and said: ‘There’s going to be a fire sale, you’re going to end up losing eight or nine players,’ then I wouldn’t be sitting in this seat now,” Tindall says.

He insists he will not be Howe’s “clone” but recognizes he could scarcely have had a better apprenticeship and acknowledges that following in the footsteps of the club’s greatest ever manager has the makings of a trying task, with Howe’s departure leaving behind a similarly shaped hole to when Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsène Wenger departed Manchester United and Arsenal respectively or, more recently, when Paul Tisdale relinquished his title as the country’s longest-serving manager after 12 years at Exeter City.

“I think for anyone replacing Ed, trying to fill his shoes is a tough, tough task, as was Ferguson and other guys,” says Tindall. “But is there anyone that knows the football club better than me? Is there any guarantee with anyone else stepping in that the club would achieve success? From my point of view, I have learned and lived by Ed who is one of the best managers and coaches out there. The pressure is there, always, but I feel I am ready to take the club forward and hopefully get back to the Premier League.”

Tindall played for Senrab, the east London team formed by his father, Jimmy, where John Terry and Jermain Defoe started their careers, and spent five years on the books of Arsenal. In the early days of his coaching career, he and Howe visited Wenger at training on numerous occasions.

“When you first step into coaching you’re so wet behind the ears so to speak, with so much to learn,” he says. “We were fortunate enough to go and watch Arsène and Arsenal work. We were big fans of the way they played and his philosophy and that was a really big driving force in terms of what we wanted to try and bring to Bournemouth.”

Tindall, who has a Uefa pro license – the highest coaching qualification in the game – believes he can lead Bournemouth back to the Premier League at the first attempt. As an internal appointment, continuity also presents challenges. Gareth Ainsworth, the Wycombe manager, highlighted the importance of shifting from “Gaz” to “gaffer” in his players’ eyes after initially struggling to assert his authority among former teammates, while last week Harry Redknapp explained how calling the shots as a manager compared to being a coach “is a different ball game” – in effect how leaving out players from starting lineups can cause your popularity to plummet.

There are already decisions to make before Bournemouth return to pre-season training on Monday. Before then, determining the futures of Simon Francis – the club captain – Andrew Surman and Charlie Daniels is high on the to-do list.

Not that taking charge is alien to Tindall, who found himself in at the deep end as player-manager at then fifth-tier Weymouth in 2007. “I only went there to train for a few days with some friends, [but] all of a sudden the club went bankrupt, pretty much everyone left and I had someone come to me asking if I’d like to manage the team, which was about six players at the time,” he says. “It was a great learning curve. It was something at the time I wasn’t prepared for but it was part of the journey I’ve had up until now.”

(The Guardian)



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.