European Willingness to Discuss Arms Embargo on Iran in UNSC

European Willingness to Discuss Arms Embargo on Iran in UNSC
TT

European Willingness to Discuss Arms Embargo on Iran in UNSC

European Willingness to Discuss Arms Embargo on Iran in UNSC

The Iranian nuclear deal was discussed on Tuesday during the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) videoconference on the Middle East.

Indonesia’s UN Ambassador Dian Triansyah Djani, UNSC president for August, said it was “not in the position to take further action” on a US bid to trigger a return of all UN sanctions on Iran because there is no consensus in the 15-member body.

Britain, France, and Germany expressed willingness to take separate action in the Security Council to “address the concerns” of ending the international arms embargo on Tehran.

During the session which was mainly focused on the Palestinian cause, Russian and Chinese permanent ambassadors to the UNSC Vasily Nebenzya and Zhang Jun asked about the Council's position on the “snapback” mechanism.

On August 20, the United States submitted a letter to the Council accusing Tehran of non-compliance, starting a 30-day clock that could lead to a “snapback” of UN sanctions

“Almost all Council members responded immediately by their letters to the President,” Nebenzya noted.

“As far as we can judge, in these letters, an overwhelming majority of the member states explicitly stated that the US letter can neither be considered a notification as per paragraph 11 of the UNSC resolution 2231 nor does it trigger the snapback since the US has ceased its participation in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA),” he added.

Nebenzya hoped the US would halt its efforts because “it is not only illegal but also because it will simply not lead to achieving its desired outcomes.”

Jun also strongly condemned the US request, calling it illegal.

China resolutely opposes the US demand, he affirmed, noting that the US letter shall not be identified as “notification” specified in resolution 2231.

“Let me just make it really, really clear: the Trump administration has no fear in standing in limited company on this matter,” US Ambassador Kelly Craft told the council.

“I only regret that other members of this council have lost their way and now find themselves standing in the company of terrorists.”

A spokesperson for the US mission to the UN said it “is on firm legal ground to initiate the restoration of sanctions” and “the fact that some council members expressed disagreement does not have any legal effect.”

“We do not support a move to snapback at this time, which would be incompatible with our current efforts to preserve the JCPOA,” UK Deputy Permanent Representative James Roscoe said.

He, however, agreed with the US’s concern that Iran would be able to buy weapons after the weapons embargo expires in October this year, noting that this would have “dangerous implication on regional security, given Iran’s ongoing destabilizing activities.”

French Deputy Permanent Representative to UN Anne Gueguen pointed out that 13 countries have rejected the US request. “As a consequence, we firmly believe that no further steps can take place within the Security Council.”

“Let me also recall that as committed JCPOA participants we, the E3 (France, Britain, and Germany), believe that we should continue to address the current issues arising from systematic Iranian non-compliance with its JCPOA commitments through continued dialogue between all remaining JCPOA participants, foremost within the Joint Commission and in the framework of discussions engaged under the Dispute Resolution Mechanism.”

“We welcome the fact that the Joint Commission will convene in Vienna on Sep. 1 and enable us to directly address these issues,” she added.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.