The United Arab Emirates’ Emergency and Crisis Prosecution Office (ECPO) at the Federal Public Prosecution ordered the detention of eight people, who hosted wedding parties which were attended by large numbers of guests, in violation of the COVID-19 precautionary measures.
The Office urged the public to abide by all precautionary measures, as well as laws and regulations, issued by the government authorities to avoid legal action.
Failing to adhere to precautionary measures is punishable by imprisonment of no more than six months and a fine of not less than AED100,000 or both penalties, warned the ECPO.
The Office said it would initiate legal action against those who did not adhere to the health measures.
On Saturday, the UAE recorded 865 new cases of COVID-19, all of which are in stable condition and are receiving proper medical care.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention said the total number of infected cases since the pandemic was first detected in the country has reached 83,433, while the total deaths reaching 403, after recording a death on Saturday.
A further 673 people recovered from COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, bringing the total recoveries to 72,790, announced the ministry.
Meanwhile, health minister Abdul Rahman al-Owais received the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine, after the UAE authorized the use of the vaccine for doctors and frontline workers.
This comes in line with the ministry’s plan announced last week to provide the vaccine to specific groups in the first line of defense, WAM reported.
After receiving his shot, Owais said that the Ministry seeks to provide “all safety measures for the heroes of the first line of defense and protect them from any dangers that they may face due to the nature of their work.”
The Minister asserted that the vaccine is safe and effective and will contribute to reducing the losses caused by the pandemic.