Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi warned on Sunday of the “destruction of the state” in wake of “small” protests that had taken place in some villages on the outskirts of Greater Cairo.
Artist Mohammed Ali, who is backed by the Muslim Brotherhood, had called for the protests last week.
The general prosecution has since then started to look into the “riots,” which Sisi described as attempts to “destroy the state and fuel strife” among the people.
The prosecution has released 68 children it had detained for their involvement in the protests. It said it had received from their parents vows that they will not become involved in such acts in the future.
The state security agency is investigating other detainees, who are being held on charges of “joining a terrorist group, spreading rumors and false news, abusing the media to further their goals, holding or planning illegal gatherings and violating public property.” The number of detainees has not been disclosed.
Addressing the people during the inauguration of projects in Greater Cairo, Sisi thanked Egyptians “because the forces of evil sought in recent days to sow sedition, exploiting the difficult conditions the state is enduring.”
“The Egyptians, however, resisted such efforts with their awareness and understanding of the difficult circumstances,” he remarked.
Moreover, he said that the campaign to remove illegal construction was being carried out systematically, not arbitrarily. Those affected are being compensated and relocated to more developed areas.
“We are forging ahead on the path of reform, construction and development. We will not waver because our country needs and the people understand this,” Sisi stressed.
He underlined the importance of stability and warned that forces that want to destroy the state are taking advantage of the people by promoting false information.