Kurdish Parties Differ over Return of Syrian Peshmerga

Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. (AFP file photo)
Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. (AFP file photo)
TT

Kurdish Parties Differ over Return of Syrian Peshmerga

Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. (AFP file photo)
Kurdish Peshmerga fighters. (AFP file photo)

The second round of discussions among US-sponsored Kurdish political parties tackled defense and protection affairs and how to allow Syrian Peshmerga forces to deploy in Kurdish regions in northeastern Syria, revealed informed Kurdish sources.

The Kurdish National Council and the Kurdish National Unity Parties met earlier this month at the international coalition base in al-Hasakeh. The meeting was attended by commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Mazloum Abdi.

The defense and protection file is witnessing major challenges and has raised doubts about whether the seven-month long Kurdish talks will yield positive results. This is the thorniest issue because the Peshmerga – the armed wing of the Syrian Kurdish National Council – has since its formation in 2012 been deployed in the neighboring Iraqi Kurdistan Region. The Peshmerga is comprised of Kurdish defectors from the Syrian regime army and volunteers from Kurdish regions.

Leading commander of the force said it comprises some 7,000 fighters, none of whom have fired a single shot in Syria.

“We did not take part in battle inside Syria, but when ISIS attacked the Kurdistan region in mid-2014, we were forced to join the fighting and we lost several martyrs,” he added.

A prominent official in the Kurdish council said the Peshmerga are estimated at 15,000 members, including 7,000 fighters and 8,000 recruits.

The Kurdish sources described the ongoing negotiations between the Kurdish parties as “very complicated and sensitive”. They cited the difficulties in returning the Peshmerga amid the deployment of a second major Kurdish force, the People’s Protection Units (YPG). The YPG are the military backbone of the SDF that controls the majority of regions east of the Euphrates River and receives support from the international coalition to fight ISIS.

Any Kurdish deployment needs to take into account threats from Turkey amid its rejection of the presence of such forces near its borders.

The return of the Peshmerga will require an international agreement between the countries deployed east of the Euphrates.

According to the Kurdish official, their return hinges on a comprehensive intra-Kurdish agreement being reached, which includes defense and protection and that they play real role as partner. It also hinges on an international agreement, with UN sponsorship, and understandings being reached between Moscow and Washington. Most importantly, regional armies involved in the war, especially Turkey, must keep out of the area.



Red Cross Opens Hotlines to Try to Reunite Syrian Families

People display the photos of their relatives on mobile phones as they join members of the Syrian civil defense group, known as the White Helmets, in search of prisoners at the Sednaya prison, after the opposition seized the capital and announced that they have ousted President Bashar al-Assad, in Sednaya, Syria, December 11, 2024. (Reuters)
People display the photos of their relatives on mobile phones as they join members of the Syrian civil defense group, known as the White Helmets, in search of prisoners at the Sednaya prison, after the opposition seized the capital and announced that they have ousted President Bashar al-Assad, in Sednaya, Syria, December 11, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Red Cross Opens Hotlines to Try to Reunite Syrian Families

People display the photos of their relatives on mobile phones as they join members of the Syrian civil defense group, known as the White Helmets, in search of prisoners at the Sednaya prison, after the opposition seized the capital and announced that they have ousted President Bashar al-Assad, in Sednaya, Syria, December 11, 2024. (Reuters)
People display the photos of their relatives on mobile phones as they join members of the Syrian civil defense group, known as the White Helmets, in search of prisoners at the Sednaya prison, after the opposition seized the capital and announced that they have ousted President Bashar al-Assad, in Sednaya, Syria, December 11, 2024. (Reuters)

The Red Cross said on Friday it had opened two new telephone hotlines to try to reunite Syrians who have been missing for years with their families, but warned that many cases will take months or years to resolve.

Since the start of Syria's civil war over 13 years ago, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has received over 35,000 cases of missing people and is stepping up its efforts to help trace them.

Stephan Sakalian, head of delegation for ICRC in Syria, told reporters that it had opened two hotlines this week: one for prisoners and one for families to try to connect them.

"We can provide them with mental health and psychosocial support ... we can even help them financially if they need to be reunited," he told a Geneva press briefing via video link from Damascus. Legal aid and healthcare are also available, an ICRC statement said.

The opening of President Bashar al-Assad's detention system has raised hopes for reunions, with some prisoners re-emerging who were thought by their families to have been executed years ago. But Sakalian sought to temper expectations.

"Let's make no mistake: giving answers to people will take weeks, months and maybe years, given the amount of information to process," he said. "The work is tremendous," he added.

The ICRC is also looking for three of its colleagues who were abducted in 2013. "Like everyone we want to have hope and seek any signal or any news that may bring some closure to their families, but for the moment, we do not have any news," he added.