Head of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez al-Sarraj, retracted on Friday his resignation hours after Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas urged him to delay it to ensure "continuity" in the political talks that have started following a ceasefire deal.
A spokesman for the Presidential Council announced that Sarraj was meeting the German demand and would not go through with the resignation.
He said: “Sarraj hopes that the dialogue committee would assume its historic responsibility, steer clear of personal and regional interests, and place national ones above all else to allow our country to overcome its crisis with peace and consensus and lead to the establishment of a modern civil state.”
The GNA in a statement said Sarraj has received several requests to stay in his post longer to avoid a "political vacuum", including from "leaders in friendly countries", UN officials and civil society groups.
Sarraj however insists that "the exit of the current political actors will help to find a way out" of Libya's crisis, it added.
Sarraj had in September announced that he would step down in October and transfer power to a new government that would have been formed from the ongoing dialogue from the rival parties.
The two warring sides have already launched talks via videoconference but are due to hold in-person negotiations on November 9 in Tunisia, with the goal of holding national elections.
The parties had last week signed a permanent ceasefire agreement and launched political dialogue.