Lampard Not Surprised to See Tottenham Reborn under Mourinho

Frank Lampard. (AP)
Frank Lampard. (AP)
TT

Lampard Not Surprised to See Tottenham Reborn under Mourinho

Frank Lampard. (AP)
Frank Lampard. (AP)

Frank Lampard never gave any credence to the view that Jose Mourinho, his old mentor, was a manager who had been swept aside by the modern game.

Lampard, after all, developed a special bond with Mourinho while becoming one of the world’s great attacking midfielders under the Portuguese coach in their trophy-laden time together at Chelsea from 2004-07.

And he has tapped into what he sees as Mourinho’s best attributes as a coach — his winning mentality, his ability to fill players with self-belief — in the early stages of his own managerial career.

So, for Lampard, it’s no surprise to see Mourinho rebound from a difficult spell in charge of Manchester United and be on the Premier League title charge once again, this time at Tottenham.

“You don’t have a record as decorated as Jose Mourinho has without being a very talented coach,” Lampard said Friday. “The game is so reactionary at the moment. Particularly the modern era, with all social-media reaction.”

The respect is there, clearly, but that doesn’t mean Lampard isn’t going to stand up to Mourinho on the touchline.

On Sunday, Lampard’s Chelsea hosts Mourinho’s Tottenham at Stamford Bridge in the biggest Premier League match of the weekend featuring two members of the current top three. Tottenham, in first place, is two points ahead of Chelsea in third.

It brings Lampard and Mourinho together on the touchline, two months after they had a mid-match spat in the technical area during a League Cup match at Tottenham. Mourinho apparently made a reference to Lampard becoming more vocal after his team took the lead — Chelsea would go on to lose on penalties — while Lampard, for his part, asked why Mourinho spent more time speaking to the referee than his own players.

Last year, meanwhile, when the teams met in the league at Tottenham’s stadium, Mourinho claimed Lampard had merely copied predecessor Antonio Conte’s tactics in using a 3-4-3 formation for a match Chelsea won 2-0.

Lampard was also involved in a touchline spat with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp in the next-to-last match of last season. With barely two years of senior managerial experience behind him, Lampard is refusing to be walked all over.

“It’s not important just to stand my ground,” he said. “It’s important to approach the game against all the top coaches — and we are fortunate in the Premier League to have great coaches — to try to prepare my team as well as I can to try and win the games.

“I have respect for Jose as a manager. I didn’t take any offense to the talk about Antonio Conte’s system or whatever. I played that system clearly a lot differently last year when we did play it to how Conte would have done. Jose can have his opinions. It’s a not a problem.”

Indeed, Chelsea did the league double over Tottenham last season, beating its London rival 2-1 at home, but the current version of Spurs has more of Mourinho’s fingerprints on it.

The defense is getting tighter, the beefed-up midfield is more hard-working with the arrival of anchorman Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, while Harry Kane and Son Heung-min have developed a superb partnership in attack, proving especially dangerous on the counter.

It was via that route that Tottenham scored its goals in a 2-0 win over Manchester City last weekend, lifting Mourinho’s team to the top of the league.

Win on Sunday in what is Chelsea’s 1,000th game since Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003, and — however Mourinho tries to downplay it — Tottenham will be viewed as genuine title contenders.

“You have to respect Tottenham and the way they are playing, the quality they have and their style and how they like to approach games. I am very aware of it,” Lampard said. “The game last week (against City) has lots of pointers to that. I also think they are a team that is so talented they can play in various ways.

“But with us, one of the best things I have seen recently is the balance in our team. I think we are not an overly attacking team that will leave ourselves vulnerable. We have to be aware particularly of the level of Harry Kane, the relationship with him and Son at the minute. I don’t think you can look past that.”

Lampard said Christian Pulisic is available again after the American winger’s latest hamstring injury but was unlikely to play from the start.



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.