Turkish Soldier Killed in Clashes With Kurds in Northern Syria

Nazeer al-Khatib, AFP file picture | A Turkish soldier guards a position on Mount Bersaya, north of the Syrian town of Azaz near the border with Turkey, on January 29, 2018
Nazeer al-Khatib, AFP file picture | A Turkish soldier guards a position on Mount Bersaya, north of the Syrian town of Azaz near the border with Turkey, on January 29, 2018
TT

Turkish Soldier Killed in Clashes With Kurds in Northern Syria

Nazeer al-Khatib, AFP file picture | A Turkish soldier guards a position on Mount Bersaya, north of the Syrian town of Azaz near the border with Turkey, on January 29, 2018
Nazeer al-Khatib, AFP file picture | A Turkish soldier guards a position on Mount Bersaya, north of the Syrian town of Azaz near the border with Turkey, on January 29, 2018

The Turkish Defense Ministry announced Thursday the death of a Turkish soldier during clashes with members of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in Afrin, northern Syria, which is controlled by Turkey and Syrian factions loyal to it.

In a brief statement on Twitter, the ministry said that clashes between its forces and members of the YPG took place during an infiltration attempt by the Kurdish units, adding that Turkish forces responded to the attack and neutralized six of them.

Turkey took control over the Kurdish-majority Afrin region since its military operation in the region in 2018 called "Olive Branch", with the support of the Syrian factions loyal to it against the YPG forces.

Also, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that a Turkish officer and 3 soldiers were wounded in an infiltration operation by Kurdish forces on the Basufan and Kafr Khasher frontlines in the northern countryside of Aleppo in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The clashes coincided with intensive Turkish rocket attacks on the conflict zones and other positions in the Kurdish-controlled villages of Mar’naz, Baylouniyyah, Burj Al-Qas, and Masiyyah.

The war -monitor said Kurdish forces responded to the Turkish rocket fire by shelling the Turkish base in Kimar in rural Afrin.

This came as Turkish forces carried out a new patrol on Aleppo-Latakia international highway (M4) as well another joint patrol with the Russian military police in areas to the west of Ain Al-Arab city (Kobani).

The patrol which comprises four Russian vehicles and four other Turkish ones has set off from Ashmeh village in western Kobani and was supposed to tour the villages and border areas.

The new patrol marks the 35th patrol carried out by Moscow and Ankara since the agreement was signed between the two sides at the end of last year, following Operation Peace Spring, and the control of the Syrian factions and the Turkish army over the towns of Tal Abyad in the northern countryside of Raqqa and Ras al-Ain in Hasaka.

Meanwhile, Russian officials and officers from the government forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad met with leaders of the Syrian Democratic Forces at the Russian base in Ain Issa to discuss field developments and the recent Turkish offensive, as well as the construction of a Turkish military base near the international highway (M4).



Palestinian President Welcomes Joint International Statement Rejecting E1 Settlement Plan

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas during a press conference in Ankara on Wednesday (EPA)
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas during a press conference in Ankara on Wednesday (EPA)
TT

Palestinian President Welcomes Joint International Statement Rejecting E1 Settlement Plan

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas during a press conference in Ankara on Wednesday (EPA)
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas during a press conference in Ankara on Wednesday (EPA)

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed a joint statement issued by the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada, and Norway rejecting the Israeli occupation government's continuation of the E1 settlement plan and demanding an immediate halt to settlement expansion across the occupied West Bank.

Abbas called on the Israeli occupation government to immediately cancel the plan, stressing that severing the northern West Bank from its southern territory and isolating East Jerusalem constitutes a flagrant violation of international law, particularly UN Security Council Resolution 2334, and undermines the establishment of an independent Palestinian state along the 1967 borders, SPA reported.

The Palestinian president urged the signatory nations, the European Union, the UN Security Council, and the international community to translate their positions into concrete measures to halt settlement activities and to refuse recognition of any unlawful changes imposed on occupied Palestinian land.


UN Warns 94% of Gaza's Population Urgently Needs Shelter and Basic Aid

People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Warns 94% of Gaza's Population Urgently Needs Shelter and Basic Aid

People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned that civilians in the Gaza Strip continue to face severe risks from airstrikes, shelling, and gunfire, reporting ongoing casualties, including child deaths, SPA reported.

OCHA stated that the remains of 50 people, including 19 children, were recently recovered and buried after being discovered under rubble in Gaza City, where they had remained trapped for over two years, SPA reported.

The office highlighted that 94% of Gaza's 2.1 million residents require urgent shelter and basic household assistance, with nearly two-thirds of families enduring rapidly deteriorating conditions in tents or temporary shelters.


Israeli Forces Shoot Dead Palestinian Man in West Bank Raid

The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)
The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Forces Shoot Dead Palestinian Man in West Bank Raid

The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)
The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)

Israeli forces shot dead a Palestinian man on Friday in the city of Jenin, in the north of the occupied West Bank, with the military saying he had attempted to stab a soldier.

Fathi Zidan Hazem, 58, "died from injuries sustained after being shot by Israeli forces early Friday in the city of Jenin," the Palestinian health ministry said in a statement, adding that his body was being withheld by Israel.

The Israeli military said a "terrorist armed with a knife attempted to stab an Israeli soldier" while troops were operating in the area of Jenin.

"The soldiers responded by firing toward the terrorist and eliminating him," it said, adding no injuries were reported among troops.

Hazem was a retired colonel in the Palestinian National Security Forces.

In April 2022, after his son, Raad Hazem, carried out a shooting spree in Tel Aviv in which he killed three Israelis and wounded several others, Israeli authorities demanded that Fathi Hazem hand himself in.

His son was shot dead by Israeli forces after a massive manhunt.

A second son, Abdul Rahman Hazem, was killed during an Israeli military raid targeting alleged militants in the Jenin refugee camp in September 2022.

AFP footage from the scene on Friday showed a pool of blood and bullets scattered among groceries in the family's home.

A Palestinian eyewitness, who declined to give her name to AFP, said Israeli forces raided her neighbor's house in the early hours and told Hazem to raise his hands, which he refused to do.

"He then attacked them with a knife, and they shot him seven times in front of his 10-year-old son. They dragged him down the stairs and took him with them," she said.

Violence in the West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967, has surged since the Gaza war began with Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

Since then, at least 1,098 Palestinians, including fighters, have been killed by Israeli troops or settlers, according to Palestinian figures.

Official Israeli data shows that at least 48 Israelis, both civilians and security personnel, have been killed in attacks by Palestinians or during Israeli military operations.