Southampton's Stuart Armstrong: 'There's a Lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears'

Stuart Armstrong says before Southampton’s game at home against Liverpool on Monday that the squad ‘aim for the clouds’. Photograph: Matt Watson/Southampton FC/Getty Images
Stuart Armstrong says before Southampton’s game at home against Liverpool on Monday that the squad ‘aim for the clouds’. Photograph: Matt Watson/Southampton FC/Getty Images
TT

Southampton's Stuart Armstrong: 'There's a Lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears'

Stuart Armstrong says before Southampton’s game at home against Liverpool on Monday that the squad ‘aim for the clouds’. Photograph: Matt Watson/Southampton FC/Getty Images
Stuart Armstrong says before Southampton’s game at home against Liverpool on Monday that the squad ‘aim for the clouds’. Photograph: Matt Watson/Southampton FC/Getty Images

Ralph Hasenhüttl will not be getting comfortable any time soon and has often turned to the same analogy to warn his Southampton squad against complacency by saying that if they lean back they will immediately foot the bill, but the turn of the year marks an appropriate time to reflect on striking progress.

Only Liverpool, Manchester City, and Manchester United have won more games over the past 12 months and Southampton head into their home match against the champions and league leaders on Monday within touching distance of the top four, despite failing to win any of their past four matches.

Hasenhüttl’s high-pressing 4-2-2-2 – a formation he utilized as RB Leipzig qualified for the Champions League – has been key to suffocating opponents and a vital cog in that system at Southampton has been Stuart Armstrong, who vouches that such a style requires hard work.

“There’s a lot of running, a lot of energy, a lot of blood, sweat, and tears that go into it but when you come off the pitch with three points, it’s all worth it,” Armstrong says. “The manager has made it clear that everyone needs to work hard to be a part of this system, and for it to work that is the essence of it. I was under no illusions that it wouldn’t be smooth sailing all the time – and it was a difficult start, definitely – but the perseverance is what is most satisfying.”

Armstrong, a softly spoken Scotsman from Inverness, is modest and does a good line in self-deprecation but, beyond his gentlemanly manner and easygoing demeanor, the graceful midfielder has become one of Hasenhüttl’s most trusted performers. He arrived at Southampton two and a half years ago in search of a fresh challenge following a near impeccable four seasons at Celtic as they went 585 days unbeaten and twice won the treble as part of the “Invincibles” under Brendan Rodgers.

Armstrong has never tasted defeat in the Old Firm derby, which takes place at Ibrox on Saturday. “They were fantastic games, incredible atmospheres, and just a great thing to experience as a player, something that I will cherish for ever; fantastic memories and I’m very fortunate to have not played in a losing one.”

Before breaking through at Dundee United, where he played alongside Andy Robertson, now Armstrong’s captain at international level, he enrolled for an Open University law degree but, three years into it a move to Celtic meant midweeks were suddenly filled with Champions League trips to the Camp Nou or Parc des Princes.

“I had to write for a couple of extensions from time to time … that they granted, thankfully,” he says, laughing. “There were some late nights, some rushed essays – probably not my finest pieces of work – but I got it done in the end. I was so far into it that I thought I needed to finish it.”

Given such grounding, perhaps it is no surprise he was handed a role on Southampton’s unofficial jury for dressing-room misdemeanors, alongside the captain, James Ward-Prowse, and the defender Jack Stephens, who administers the punishments for breaking punctuality rules or leaving kit on pitches. “I have to keep quiet … policeman’s code means I cannot give away any confidentialities. All I can tell you is that James Ward-Prowse is an informant,” he grins.

Armstrong says the role fell into his lap but was he seen as a safe pair of hands? “Maybe that would be the nice way of putting it,” he says. “Maybe there was an element of trust there.”

Armstrong hopes to play a part at the European Championship, where Scotland will renew their rivalry with England after qualifying for a major tournament for the first time in 23 years. Armstrong was part of the squad that toasted a penalty shootout victory in Belgrade by serenading the goalkeeper David Marshall at the team hotel with a conga and 1980s disco – “of what I remember of it, it was brilliant” – and, while his immediate focus remains on Southampton, there is no escaping the significance of that Group D date at Wembley on 18 June.

The last time the nations met, at Hampden Park in June 2017, an England team featuring the Southampton defender Ryan Bertrand snatched a stoppage-time equalizer. “I still get abused for not clearing the ball far enough and they spun it back in [to the box], and Harry Kane volleyed it in, so there was a bit of a sour ending to that one,” Armstrong says.

“Hopefully we will get a bit of revenge when we go to Wembley in the summer. The country has waited such a long time to reach a major tournament. I think you could see the happiness, the relief, and the pure joy to have finally done it.”

Hasenhüttl has noted a shift in Southampton’s mentality and Armstrong believes they are finding a way to pick up points from games they might previously have lost. The manager has been loth to cast too many predictions but how high does Armstrong sense Southampton can soar? “I would share that reluctance … did you know I was going to say that?” he says.

“We know how strongly we believe in ourselves and how strongly we have performed in certain points this season. We aim for the clouds and, hopefully, we produce the performances to match.”

(The Guardian)



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.