Tunisia has recorded 4,170 new confirmed coronavirus cases and 50 deaths, a record since the start of the pandemic, according to a Health Ministry statement on Friday.
The infection tally has risen to 165,065 cases, of which 123,610 have recovered, while the death toll amounted to 5,528.
One-hundred new people infected with COVID-19 have been treated in hospitals and private clinics, bringing the number of hospitalized patients to 1844 so far.
Tunisia on Thursday imposed a four-day national lockdown and closed schools until Jan. 24 to combat a sharp rise in COVID-19 cases.
In this context, former health minister Abdellatif Mekki suggested extending the lockdown for at least two more weeks to be able to flatten the curve.
According to statistics published by the Tunisian health structures, 27,445 cases and 685 deaths were recorded in only 12 days in January.
Health authorities expected the coming weeks to be very difficult, pointing out that the measures imposed so far have not given the desired results.
The scientific committee to fight the COVID-19 pandemic said deaths may exceed 6,500 with the end of January, which requires more vigilance and caution.
Adhering to preventive measures remains the most effective prevention solution pending the arrival of vaccines, it stressed.
In this regard, Respiratory Diseases Specialist Habib Ghedira said the epidemiological situation in the country requires targeting areas with the highest rate of infection cases.