Set Plays and Self-Criticism: Secrets of Hasenhüttl's Southampton Success

Ralph Hasenhüttl (second left) and his players celebrate last month’s victory over Sheffield United. Photograph: Michael Steele/PA
Ralph Hasenhüttl (second left) and his players celebrate last month’s victory over Sheffield United. Photograph: Michael Steele/PA
TT

Set Plays and Self-Criticism: Secrets of Hasenhüttl's Southampton Success

Ralph Hasenhüttl (second left) and his players celebrate last month’s victory over Sheffield United. Photograph: Michael Steele/PA
Ralph Hasenhüttl (second left) and his players celebrate last month’s victory over Sheffield United. Photograph: Michael Steele/PA

It was an accidental masterpiece of theatre that made for one of the most absorbing jousts this season. Even in the seconds before Danny Ings had latched on to James Ward-Prowse’s cunning free-kick, the box-office sideshow to Southampton’s victory over Liverpool was well underway. Jürgen Klopp raged as Ralph Hasenhüttl flip-flopped from apoplectic to equable, willing his players on with the gusto of a marathon spectator, before the Southampton manager crashed to all fours wiping away tears of joy.

That goal in itself is a microcosm of the strides Southampton have made under Hasenhüttl, a workaholic who spent last spring creating a digital ‘playbook’, a blueprint for players and staff to follow across the club. This season no team in the division have scored more goals from set-pieces, excluding penalties, and seven of their past nine goals have stemmed from set plays. The nine Southampton have managed means they are two away from equalling last season’s tally with more than half a season to play. The hours Ward-Prowse spends honing his craft by practicing a dozen free-kicks every week should not be overlooked but nor should Hasenhüttl’s decision to narrow the brief of the former goalkeeper coach Dave Watson. Upon taking charge Hasenhüttl was unhappy Watson had to juggle roles and so for the past 18 months his focus has shifted to set pieces.

“It is a luxury, if you want, but it gives you a lot of quality in offense but also in defense, at set-pieces,” says Hasenhuttl. “It was not possible for Dave to do like he did before, goalkeeper coach and set-pieces coach. I decided to let him only do the work for set pieces because it is a massive challenge every week, especially now with so many games to prepare for. He is very good, very concentrated and the way he teaches it on the pitch is very good, enthusiastic, and this is the reason why we have scored a lot of goals so far and also still, touch wood, very good defending at set-pieces.”

Hasenhüttl’s high-octane style is engrained in his squad. Ibrahima Diallo, an £11m recruit from Brest who made his first start on Boxing Day, was exceptional against Liverpool and Kyle Walker-Peters has been a standout performer since joining permanently from Tottenham. In the last calendar year only Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United won more Premier League games. This season, a team that spent much of the last campaign hovering above the relegation zone are seventh, 17 points above the dotted line. After ditching the self-destructive high line that allowed Son Heung-min to feast on the grassland behind the Southampton defence at St Mary’s in September, they have proven stubborn opposition, keeping a joint-high eight league clean sheets.

“It clearly didn’t work, especially not with the new offside rule where you must always let [play] run,” Hasenhüttl says. “We were on the wrong path in the summer. We tried it and we felt it didn’t fit so we changed it again. You have to be open-minded all the time, and self-critical. If you think you are on the wrong path, give it away and take something new. This is what we did and I think from that moment on we haven’t conceded many goals so far.”

Saturday brings a trip to fourth-placed and free-scoring Leicester. Southampton are likely to be without Danny Ings after the striker tested positive for Covid-19 and, although a modest squad will be stretched, his absence provides further opportunity. In many ways, it will be the perfect test for a club happy to lean on youth. Nathan Redmond, Moussa Djenepo and Nathan Tella are injured but the 21-year-old Daniel N’Lundulu impressed off the bench against Liverpool, when the 18-year-old midfielder Kgagelo Chauke became the latest youngster included in the matchday party. Shane Long, who recently compared the belief in the squad to the Ronald Koeman era, when Southampton twice qualified for Europe, is a sound alternative.

One of the academy’s main objectives is for half of the first-team matchday squad to be made up of players with roots at the club. Against Liverpool there were 11 academy graduates, including Theo Walcott, who has looked comfortable up front or wide since returning to where it all started, and Jack Stephens, who joined from Plymouth aged 17. In September Southampton’s Under-23s morphed into a ‘B’ team, a decision led by Hasenhüttl and the director of football, Matt Crocker, to align youngsters closer to the first team so that when an opportunity arises, they are versed in the Austrian’s thinking.

Not since Mauricio Pochettino have supporters been so smitten with a manager. The club sense they are on to a good thing. Hasenhüttl has an aura, a welcome gravitas, but most striking is the marked improvement across his team, from Alex McCarthy in goal to the fit-again Che Adams, who has formed a wonderful tag team with Ings in attack. When they press, they trigger the rest of the machine. “We are famous for our pressing, I think, because it is always nasty to play [against] but we have added more calm and composure in every situation,” Hasenhüttl says. “I can guarantee we are turning every stone, every week to find solutions.”

(The Guardian)



Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.