UAE Confirms it Inked $23 Billion Deal to Buy F-35 Jets, Drones from US

A F-35 fighter plane flies over the White House in Washington, June 12, 2019. (AFP)
A F-35 fighter plane flies over the White House in Washington, June 12, 2019. (AFP)
TT

UAE Confirms it Inked $23 Billion Deal to Buy F-35 Jets, Drones from US

A F-35 fighter plane flies over the White House in Washington, June 12, 2019. (AFP)
A F-35 fighter plane flies over the White House in Washington, June 12, 2019. (AFP)

The United Arab Emirates confirmed that it signed agreements with the United States on former President Donald Trump’s last full day in office to purchase up to 50 F-35 jets, 18 armed drones and other defense equipment in a deal worth $23 billion.

The UAE embassy in Washington said in a statement on its website that the letters of agreement had been finalized on Tuesday confirming terms of purchase, including costs, technical specifications and anticipated delivery schedules.

Reuters first reported the news on Wednesday.

The deal, however, could now be reviewed as the new Biden administration has said it will re-examine the agreements for the sale, which the Trump administration had said supported US foreign policy and national security objectives by allowing the UAE to deter Iranian threats.

The UAE has long expressed interest in acquiring the stealthy F-35 jets made by Lockheed Martin and was promised a chance to buy them in a side deal when it agreed to normalize ties with Israel last August.

The embassy said the contracts included as many as 50 F-35A fighters valued at $10.4 billion, 18 MQ-9B drones valued at $2.97 billion, and various munitions valued at $10 billion.

It did not mention the final in-country delivery date for the F-35 jets, but people familiar with the matter had told Reuters the initial proposal sent to UAE said 2027.

The embassy statement said the Gulf state was committed to de-escalation in the region and that the defense package enhanced US-UAE military interoperability.

It said the transaction was also “consistent with the bipartisan US National Defense Strategy of enabling partners to take on more responsibility for their own and collective security in the Middle East”.

The UAE said on Thursday that it looked forward to working with President Joe Biden’s administration.



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.