Joey Barton: 'Somebody Is Going To Get Rovers Right. I Think I’m the Man for It'

Joey Barton
Joey Barton
TT

Joey Barton: 'Somebody Is Going To Get Rovers Right. I Think I’m the Man for It'

Joey Barton
Joey Barton

“I’m a baby in coaching terms,” says Joey Barton a few hours into his tenure at Bristol Rovers, his second managerial job. “I stopped playing and went straight into this. I didn’t really do an apprenticeship, I went into a head coach role [at Fleetwood Town] and you’re flying by the seat of your pants. You jump into the deep end and you’ve got to be able to swim and I think in the last two and a half years I have shown that we can do that and more.”

Rovers are in a perilous position after one win from their past 12 matches and among a clutch of teams dangling two points above the League One relegation zone. Upon leaving Fleetwood after nearly three years in charge last month, Barton could have watched the rest of the season unfold from the comfort of the sofa but wanted to get involved at Rovers. “They have been starved of success compared to some of the big-city clubs locally and even in south Wales further up the pyramid,” he says. “Somebody, at some point, is going to get Rovers right, mobilize that passionate fan base and get the supporters traveling across the country pushing their team on to bigger and better things. I think I’m the man for it. I’m absolutely convinced it’s going to be this group of players we’ve got here and this group of coaches.”

Barton is talking on the afternoon after his first training session as Rovers manager but, towards the end of a whirlwind day, rows back to his first memory of the club, watching a FA Cup fourth-round meeting against Liverpool at Twerton Park, with almost instant recall. “As an Evertonian, it was when Carl Saunders scored against Bruce Grobbelaar to force a replay against Liverpool in 1992. I remember being a Rovers supporter, mainly because I supported everyone that played against Liverpool at that time. They lost in the replay at Anfield but for those two nights I was certainly a Rovers supporter and I’m definitely one now. For me this is a fantastic opportunity.”

Barton, who has signed a contract until 2023, will again be assisted by Clint Hill, his former Queens Park Rangers teammate. “I think this is the logical next step for myself and my coaching team, to take over a city club rather than a town club,” Barton says, referencing Rovers’ average attendance of around 8,000, in normal times. “If we can get the blue half of the almost 500,000 people who live in Bristol mobilized and behind their team and walking round the city with the shirt on, the quarters on, shoulders back, proud of the team they go to watch on a matchday, then that will be success for me.”

Staving off relegation to League Two is a world away from Manchester City and Marseille, for whom he played, but the potential of the club, which moved into a new training ground in October and has grand plans under the Jordanian owner, Wael al-Qadi, enticed Barton. Rovers, who dropped into non-league in 2014, have not played in the second tier since 1993.

“I grew up in Liverpool, a port city very similar to Bristol in many regards, with a blue team and a red team. The red team has historically been more successful than the blue but if you look at Sunday [Everton’s derby win] the blue team looks like they’re going to be more successful than the red this season. I just look at the possibilities of what could happen here, stuff that, no disrespect to Fleetwood, they just couldn’t do because of the footprint it has on the football map.”

Behind the black-rimmed glasses, there is a colorful and clever personality and, on a couple of occasions, he stops short of going down the route of directly comparing Rovers with neighbors City and instead references Nigel Pearson’s appointment. “My mate is going in there – Big Nige – and he’s already been on, asking me if I’d move into a flat with him but I’ve politely declined,” he says, smiling, “because, hopefully in the near future, we’re going to be on the touchline and we’ll be having competitive matches.”

Barton is awaiting trial after an alleged confrontation with the former Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel. Barton has previously pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and the proceedings are due to begin in June. He acknowledges his reputation sometimes precedes him but his ambition is clear. “It is about time Rovers had some success and that’s what we’re here to deliver,” he says.

“I haven’t come here to take part, to be involved in the bottom end of the table, albeit that’s where we are at this moment in time. When I sat down with Wael, we spoke about his vision and I thought ‘I can’t miss this opportunity.’ I’m just so excited about what the future holds because it is about time Rovers had their day in the sun.”

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.