Tunisia: Ennahda Accuses Parties of Spreading Lies about Ghannouchi’s Health

Parliament Speaker Rached Ghannouchi in his office, in Tunis (file photo: Reuters)
Parliament Speaker Rached Ghannouchi in his office, in Tunis (file photo: Reuters)
TT
20

Tunisia: Ennahda Accuses Parties of Spreading Lies about Ghannouchi’s Health

Parliament Speaker Rached Ghannouchi in his office, in Tunis (file photo: Reuters)
Parliament Speaker Rached Ghannouchi in his office, in Tunis (file photo: Reuters)

Head of Ennahda Movement and Speaker Rached Ghannouchi has been reportedly transferred to the military hospital in Tunis after his health deteriorated.

However, Ennahda denied the rumors, asserting Ghannouchi, 79, is fine and carrying out his constitutional duties.

MP Maher Medhioub, the Speaker's aide, affirmed that Ghannouchi is "in good health and practicing his duties," stressing that media reports about any change in the speakership is untrue.

Mohammed Goumani, member of Ennahda's executive office, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the rumors about Ghannouchi's health fall within the recurring attempts by “parties and figures who lack credibility" to confuse the public.

These accusations come in the wake of a petition led by opposition MP Mongi Rahoui to withdraw confidence from Ghannouchi.

Rahoui asserted that the petition now has over 104 signatories, which means that only five more are required to reach the majority to remove Ghannouchi from his post.

The MP, who is also a member of the politburo of Democratic Patriots' Unified Party, renewed his call to the Public Prosecution to take action against threats and the defamation campaign launched against him.

He believes that a number of Ennahda members and lawmakers are behind the threats after he demanded an investigation into the wealth of some of the movement's leaders.

He explained that this falls under "illicit enrichment" and requires the intervention of the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

The lawmaker indicated that the defamation campaigns targeting him were launched on social media pages supported by Ennahda.



UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
TT
20

UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk on Thursday said he was appalled by reports of widespread extrajudicial killings of civilians in Khartoum following its recapture by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) on 26 March.

“I am utterly appalled by the credible reports of numerous incidents of summary executions of civilians in several areas of Khartoum, on apparent suspicions that they were collaborating with the Rapid Support Forces,” said Turk.

He then urged the commanders of the Sudanese Armed Forces “to take immediate measures to put an end to arbitrary deprivation of life.”

The UN Commissioner said his Office has reviewed multiple horrific videos posted on social media since 26 March, all of them apparently filmed in southern and eastern Khartoum.

“They show armed men – some in uniform and others in civilian clothes – executing civilians in cold blood, often in public settings. In some videos, perpetrators state that they are punishing supporters of RSF,” he said.

The RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, has been battling the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, since April 2023.

Last week the army said it had retaken full control of Khartoum after weeks of attacks on the capital by the paramilitaries, though Daglo said his forces had only “repositioned.”

On Thursday, Sudan's paramilitary said they downed an Antonov military plane, the fourth this month, belonging to the Sudanese army near Al Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur State.

The RSF published a video that they said showed the plane wreckage. It said in a statement that the plane dropped “dozens of barrel bombs on innocent civilians in Al Fasher and other Sudanese cities.”

Meanwhile, an activist group said that the RSF killed at least 85 people in one week during attacks south of the capital Khartoum.

“For the seventh consecutive day, the Janjaweed militias continue their violent attacks on villages... west of Jebel Awliya, resulting in the deaths of more than 85 people and the injury of dozens,” said the Sudanese resistance committee, referring to the RSF by the name of its precursor.

Bashir’s Deputy Released

Also on Thursday, Sudanese authorities released former First Vice President Bakri Hassan Saleh and Youssif Abdel Fattah, a former minister.

Saleh and Abdel Fattah are among some 30 officials who are standing trial for their involvement in the June 30, 1989 coup, that brought former Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir to power.

SAF leader Abdel Fattah al Burhan issued the decision based on a judicial ruling that stated the two men need to receive treatment due to deteriorating health conditions.