Algerian Security Again Accused of Torturing Hirak Activists

Algerian protesters demonstrate in Algiers on July 12, 2019. (AFP)
Algerian protesters demonstrate in Algiers on July 12, 2019. (AFP)
TT

Algerian Security Again Accused of Torturing Hirak Activists

Algerian protesters demonstrate in Algiers on July 12, 2019. (AFP)
Algerian protesters demonstrate in Algiers on July 12, 2019. (AFP)

A number of lawyers in Algiers said that anti-government Hirak activists will file a complaint with the prosecutor's office accusing the police of using “violence against them” during their interrogation.

The lawyers confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that the activists were arrested by the security forces last Friday and they have medical reports proving their injuries and bruises.

The two activists were released the next day after the judge accused them of “illegal gathering” and “endangering the lives of others by occupying the street.”

The investigating judge in Algiers’ misdemeanor court released Sunday seven activists who were also arrested on Friday and accused of the same two charges.

They are among the most prominent activists in the protests and known for their involvement in the movement. They include formerly imprisoned poet Mohammed Tadjadit, famous for his satirical poems against the government, and prominent student and activist Abdenour Ait Said.

Last month, the prosecution launched an investigation into accusations against the security services of torturing activist Walid Nekiche, who said at his trial that he was sexually assaulted during his interrogation at the security headquarters.

However, the case was soon transferred to the military court because the accused, the Internal Security Agency, is an entity affiliated with the Ministry of Defense.

Another activist stated during the same period that he was tortured with electricity at his detention.

Earlier in March, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Rupert Colville, asked the Algerian authorities to conduct “prompt, impartial and effective investigations into all allegations of torture and ill-treatment in detention” and hold all those responsible accountable and ensure that victims have access to redress.

He called on the Algerian authorities to stop using violence against peaceful protestors and cease arbitrary arrests and detentions, urging for the immediate release of all detainees.

Government spokesman and Minister of Communication, Ammar Belhimer confirmed in press statements that the people who are being arrested “are not detained by the judiciary for expressing their opinion, but for reasons relating to maintaining public security.”

Algeria’s constitution guarantees the right to peaceful protest in the street.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.