US Envoy Says Iran Playing Negative Role in Yemen

FILE PHOTO: A Yemeni government fighter fires a vehicle-mounted weapon at a frontline position during fighting against Houthis in Marib, Yemen March 28, 2021. REUTERS/Ali Owidha/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Yemeni government fighter fires a vehicle-mounted weapon at a frontline position during fighting against Houthis in Marib, Yemen March 28, 2021. REUTERS/Ali Owidha/File Photo
TT

US Envoy Says Iran Playing Negative Role in Yemen

FILE PHOTO: A Yemeni government fighter fires a vehicle-mounted weapon at a frontline position during fighting against Houthis in Marib, Yemen March 28, 2021. REUTERS/Ali Owidha/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Yemeni government fighter fires a vehicle-mounted weapon at a frontline position during fighting against Houthis in Marib, Yemen March 28, 2021. REUTERS/Ali Owidha/File Photo

The US Special Envoy for Yemen Tim Lenderking said is Iran responsible for the instability in Yemen, noting that there isn’t any evidence that Tehran wants to support a constructive resolution to the conflict.

“The Iranians should not get a free pass here, what they are doing is negative,” he said.

Speaking at a hearing of the US House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, Lenderking asserted that the only way to end the crisis is through a ceasefire and complete compliance with international laws and initiatives.

He indicated that more work is needed to ensure that all Yemeni parties are ready to put down “their guns and compromise for the sake of peace.  This will require a unified, international effort.”

The United States will continue to pressure all parties to ensure that they take the necessary steps to resolve the conflict in a responsible manner and alleviate the severity of the humanitarian crisis, asserted Lenderking.

The envoy indicated that there is a recognition and understanding of the necessary role of Houthi representation in any post-war Yemeni government, however, he stressed that the single biggest threat to all the efforts remains “the Houthis’ single-minded focus on a military assault on the city of Marib.”

“In the midst of six years of war, Marib has been a haven of stability, and a refuge for nearly one million internally displaced persons who have fled conflict elsewhere and have nowhere else to go...  A Houthi takeover of the city is not imminent, but they continue to move closer to their goal of encircling the city, potentially cutting off a population of 1.8 million.”

Lenderking accused the Iranians of supporting Houthis who continue to receive considerable funding, training, and other support from Tehran.

“Iranian support [for the Houthis] is quite significant, and it’s lethal.”

He warned that they threaten more than 70,000 US citizens who live and work in Saudi Arabia, close to the sites the Houthis have struck.

The envoy admitted that it is difficult to inspect every shipment arriving in Yemen and it had been difficult to halt shipments of weapons from Iran to the Houthis, calling to protect the borders with Oman.

More pressure has to be put on the smuggling networks used by Tehran, Lenderking said, as more weapons on Iranian vessels needed to be captured for a display to the international community.

He indicated that it is a positive indication if Iran stops supporting Houthis, and “we would welcome Iran playing a constructive role, if they are willing to do so," however, “we have not seen any indication of that."

If the Houthis are not acting as a proxy or partner of Iran, it is time they engage seriously "in our efforts to reach an agreement on a ceasefire and resume political talks," asserted the envoy.

Lenderking warned that the continuation of the fighting will lead to a greater wave of violence and instability.

The United States has communicated to the Saudi government that there is no military solution to this war, said the envoy, calling for the involvement of active regional players like Oman to achieve this objective.

The envoy answered a series of questions posed by the committee members on the humanitarian situation in Yemen.

He indicated that at the beginning of the war, humanitarian leaders stated that “Yemen after five months looks like Syria after five years,” because the situation in Yemen was already so precarious before this war began. He warned that the economy is collapsing, leaving families unable to purchase even the most essential goods. 

“Humanitarian assistance is offering a critical lifeline for millions and helping prevent a famine, but it will never be enough,” he warned.

Lenderking believes that if the war continues, the humanitarian crisis will continue to get worse, asserting that “there are no quick fixes.  Only through a durable end to the conflict can we begin to reverse this crisis.”

He explained that Yemen still suffers from the fuel crisis and fuel is critical to support the delivery of humanitarian assistance and generally help alleviate the suffering of the Yemeni people. 

“I would like to state unequivocally that fuel must be allowed to enter regularly through Hodeidah  port.”

He indicated that both the government and Houthis bear responsibility for this, saying the group does not respect its commitments in accordance with the 2018 Stockholm Agreement. 

“In that agreement, the parties reached a compromise that called for depositing Hodeidah  port revenues in a special account in the Central Bank of Yemen branch in Hodeidah and using the funds to pay the salaries of Yemeni civil servants,” he said, adding that the UN Panel of Experts documented that “Houthis have repeatedly violated this agreement and diverted those funds to their war effort, contributing to the current impasse.”

Lenderking indicated that the movement of humanitarian and commercial goods has consistently been a casualty of the Yemen conflict “whether it is the movement of goods through ports, roads, and across front lines; diversion of commercial goods; or bureaucratic impediments to humanitarian assistance.  All of these are unacceptable.”

There has been a notable increase in the monthly flow of food into Hodeidah, with 446,025 tons of food arriving in March 2020, which is 45 percent above the 2020 average.

“It is, of course, not enough, but shows that the system can work with cooperation from the parties to the conflict and effective UN oversight.”

When asked about his meeting with the Houthis, Lenderking said that he had met them in past years, adding that they welcomed the US role as a superpower that brings international support.

He lauded Saudi Arabia’s role in ending the crisis, saying that Riyadh is open to discussion with the Houthis.

The US administration “has publicly committed to help defend Saudi Arabia from these attacks.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.