Yemeni Defense Minister Classifies Marib Battle as ‘Decisive’

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Maqdashi inspects battlegrounds in Marib. (Saba News Agency)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Maqdashi inspects battlegrounds in Marib. (Saba News Agency)
TT

Yemeni Defense Minister Classifies Marib Battle as ‘Decisive’

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Maqdashi inspects battlegrounds in Marib. (Saba News Agency)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Maqdashi inspects battlegrounds in Marib. (Saba News Agency)

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Maqdashi stressed that the battle against Iran-backed Houthi militias in the northeastern governorate of Marib is decisive.

During a field inspection, Al-Maqdashi told troops that Yemen’s people and armed forces are fighting against the terrorism of Iran and its Houthi militias and reaffirmed total rejection of transforming the war-torn country into a “Persian” colony.

The minister explained that plans for using Yemen to threaten the security of Arab nations and navigation in globally vital waterways are unacceptable.

He praised battleground progress achieved by Yemeni army forces and pro-government popular resistance with the backing of the Saudi-led Arab coalition against Houthis in Marib.

Col. Mohammad Jaber, the advisor to the joint operations for tribal affairs commander, accused the militias of exploiting the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian violence to mislead Yemenis to join Marib battlefronts.

Several sources based in the Houthi-held capital of Sanaa and the northeastern governorate of Dhamar have confirmed that the militias are ramping up troops and deploying them to fight in Marib’s Sirwah and Al-Mushaja cities.

The Houthi military buildup is unprecedented and poses a severe threat, Jaber told Asharq Al-Awsat, but confirmed that “Houthi skulls will only be crushed in Marib.”

Chief of the General Staff Lt. Gen. Saghir bin Aziz is leading army forces in Marib, where over a million internally displaced Yemenis had sought safety from the ongoing war.

“We advise tribesmen in Houthi-controlled areas to save their children,” said Jaber, pointing out that the militias are using Yemenis as cannon fodder.

Houthi sectarianism is being reflected in the militias’ battlefield conduct, he revealed, reporting that it only negotiates to retrieve the bodies of Hashemite combatants who died in action.

“In the battle of Sirwah and Al-Balq, the Houthi death toll was tremendous, so they sent tribesmen to mediate taking back the bodies,” said Jaber.

Out of around 300 dead combatants, mediators only negotiated the recovery of 13 - all Hashemites.

“Therefore, we categorically refused and called the Red Cross to take all the bodies,” said Jaber.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.