Iran Likely Had Failed Rocket Launch, Preparing for Another

Satellite images, a US official and a rocket expert all confirmed the failed launch. (AP)
Satellite images, a US official and a rocket expert all confirmed the failed launch. (AP)
TT

Iran Likely Had Failed Rocket Launch, Preparing for Another

Satellite images, a US official and a rocket expert all confirmed the failed launch. (AP)
Satellite images, a US official and a rocket expert all confirmed the failed launch. (AP)

Iran likely conducted a failed launch of a satellite-carrying rocket in recent days and now appears to be preparing to try again.

Satellite images, a US official and a rocket expert all confirmed the failed launch, earlier this month, at the Imam Khomeini Spaceport in Iran’s Semnan province.

The attempt comes as Iran’s space program has suffered a series of high-profile losses, while its paramilitary Revolutionary Guard runs its own parallel program that launched a satellite into orbit last year, The Associated Press reported.

As with other failed launches, Iranian state media did not acknowledged it took place. Iran’s mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment early Wednesday.

Satellite photos from Planet Labs Inc. and Maxar Technologies show preparations at the spaceport on June 6. Those images include what appears to be fuel tanks alongside a massive white gantry that houses a rocket, while scientists fuel it and prepare for launch. Before the launch, workers tow the gantry away to expose the rocket.

The number of fuel tanks, based on their size, appear to have been enough to fill the first and second stages of an Iranian Simorgh rocket, said Jeffrey Lewis, an expert at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. The Simorgh is a satellite-carrying rocket that has been launched from that same area of the spaceport, he said.

Later satellite images on June 17 showed a decrease in activity at the site. Lewis said analysts believe Iran launched the rocket at some point in that window.

“Nothing had blown up. There wasn’t a giant stain — like they had dumped the fuel — and the vehicles had kind of just moved around,” he said. “The overall level of activity at the site was much lower. So to our mind, that looked like a launch.”

CNN, which first reported on the failed launch, quoted Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Uriah Orland saying that “US Space Command is aware of the Iranian rocket launch failure which occurred early June 12.” Orland did not elaborate. The Pentagon and US Space Command did not immediately respond to a request for comment early Wednesday from The AP.

It wasn’t immediately clear why Iran would have picked June 12 for a launch as Tehran typically schedules such launches for national commemorations. However, it did come in the run-up to Iran’s presidential election last week, in which the Islamic Republic had hoped to boost turnout.

On Sunday, a new satellite image from Planet Labs showed renewed activity at the site. The image shows a mobile platform previously used to secure a Simorgh rocket at the gantry, a support vehicle seen at previous launches and a new line of fuel containers lined up at the site. Lewis said the equipment suggests that another launch is imminent.

Over the past decade, Iran has sent several short-lived satellites into orbit and in 2013 launched a monkey into space. The program has seen recent troubles, however. A failed launch this month would be the fourth in a row for the Simorgh program. A separate fire at the Imam Khomeini Spaceport in February 2019 also killed three researchers, authorities said at the time.

A rocket explosion in August 2019 drew even the attention of then-President Donald Trump, who later tweeted what appeared to be a classified surveillance image of the launch failure. The successive failures raised suspicion of outside interference in Iran’s program, something Trump himself hinted at by tweeting at the time that the US “was not involved in the catastrophic accident.” But Lewis said such failures are common, especially when trying to put objects carefully into orbit around the Earth.

Meanwhile, the Guard in April 2020 revealed its own secret space program by successfully launching a satellite into orbit. The head of the US Space Command later dismissed the satellite as “a tumbling webcam in space” that wouldn’t provide Iran vital intelligence — though it showed Tehran’s ability to successfully get into orbit.

The US has alleged such satellite launches defy a UN Security Council resolution and called on Iran to undertake no activity related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons.

Iran, which long has said it does not seek nuclear weapons, previously maintained that its satellite launches and rocket tests do not have a military component. US intelligence agencies and the International Atomic Energy Agency say Iran abandoned an organized military nuclear program in 2003.

The Simorgh, however, is far too large and too slow to fuel to be a good carrier for a nuclear-tipped weapon, Lewis said.

“It’s a butter knife,” he added. “Could you stab someone with a butter knife? Yeah, but that’s not really the tool.”



North Korea’s Kim Marks Completion of Pyongyang Housing Project as Key Party Congress Nears 

This picture taken on February 16, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 17, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C) and his daughter Ju Ae (center L) attending the inauguration ceremony of 10,000 flats of the fourth stage in Hwasong Area of Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)
This picture taken on February 16, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 17, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C) and his daughter Ju Ae (center L) attending the inauguration ceremony of 10,000 flats of the fourth stage in Hwasong Area of Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)
TT

North Korea’s Kim Marks Completion of Pyongyang Housing Project as Key Party Congress Nears 

This picture taken on February 16, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 17, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C) and his daughter Ju Ae (center L) attending the inauguration ceremony of 10,000 flats of the fourth stage in Hwasong Area of Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)
This picture taken on February 16, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 17, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C) and his daughter Ju Ae (center L) attending the inauguration ceremony of 10,000 flats of the fourth stage in Hwasong Area of Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un marked the completion of 10,000 new houses built in Pyongyang, state media KCNA said on Tuesday, as the country prepares to hold a key party congress.

Kim has been touring construction sites and touting project progress ahead of this month's Ninth Congress of the ruling Workers' Party, the country's biggest political gathering that reviews performance, sets ‌new policy ‌goals and can bring leadership change.

On Monday, ‌Kim ⁠oversaw the completion ⁠ceremony for 10,000 houses in Hwasong District, Pyongyang, which achieved the goal of 50,000 new houses in the metropolitan area set during the Eighth Congress five years ago, according to state broadcaster KCNA.

This picture taken on February 16, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 17, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (center R) and his daughter Ju Ae (center L) attending the inauguration ceremony of 10,000 flats of the fourth stage in Hwasong Area of Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)

"Based on the transformational achievements... during the Eighth period, the Ninth Congress ⁠of the party will set a grander ‌goal of restoration and ‌creation," Kim said, according to KCNA.

Kim's daughter Ju Ae was ‌shown at her father's side at the completion ceremony, ‌hugging and congratulating the residents of the new estate. There has been increasing speculation among analysts and from South Korea's spy agency that Kim is grooming the teenager to ‌succeed him.

As part of their tour of the housing project, North Korean state TV ⁠showed Kim ⁠and Ju Ae also visiting an arcade game center that looked similar to an internet cafe, a musical instrument shop and an animal hospital where they petted a puppy.

Meanwhile, KCNA said those participating in the upcoming party congress arrived in Pyongyang on Monday.

In the past two instances in 2016 and 2021, the Congress began three to four days after representatives arrived in Pyongyang, according to Hong Min, an analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul.


At Least 14 Killed in Spate of Attacks in Northwest Pakistan

A spate of attacks in northwest Pakistan on Monday killed at least three civilians and 11 security personnel. Karim ULLAH / AFP
A spate of attacks in northwest Pakistan on Monday killed at least three civilians and 11 security personnel. Karim ULLAH / AFP
TT

At Least 14 Killed in Spate of Attacks in Northwest Pakistan

A spate of attacks in northwest Pakistan on Monday killed at least three civilians and 11 security personnel. Karim ULLAH / AFP
A spate of attacks in northwest Pakistan on Monday killed at least three civilians and 11 security personnel. Karim ULLAH / AFP

Two bomb attacks and a gunfight between police and militants in northwest Pakistan killed at least 11 security personnel and three civilians, including a child, a security official said.

The separate incidents on Monday in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, which left at least 25 others wounded, come as Pakistan's security forces battle intensifying insurgencies in southern and northern provinces that border Afghanistan.

This month the ISIS group claimed responsibility for a massive suicide blast at a mosque in the capital Islamabad that killed at least 31 people, with 169 more wounded.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the security official told AFP that on Monday evening a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the wall of a religious college in the tribal district of Bajaur in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

"As a result, eight police and Frontier Corps personnel present inside the seminary were martyred and 10 others injured," he said.

"The blast also caused the roofs of several nearby houses to collapse, killing a child."

He added the death told may rise.

In another attack in the town of Bannu, a bomb planted in a rickshaw exploded at the Miryan police station, killing two civilians and wounding 17 others, the official said.

- Chinese targeted -

Elsewhere, three police personnel and three militants were also killed during a search operation in Shangla district.

The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police force said in a statement, also late on Monday, that the three militants who died in the firefight had been involved in "attacks targeting Chinese nationals".

Beijing has poured billions of dollars into Pakistan in recent years, but Chinese-funded projects have sparked resentment and their citizens have frequently come under attack.

In March last year, five Chinese nationals working on a major dam construction site were killed along with their driver when a suicide bomber targeted their vehicle, which plunged into a deep ravine off the mountainous Karakoram Highway.

Beijing is Islamabad's closest regional ally, readily providing financial assistance to bail out its often struggling neighbor.

The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) has seen tens of billions of dollars funneled into massive transport, energy and infrastructure projects -- part of Beijing's transnational "Belt and Road" scheme.

The police statement said "due to the area's proximity to the Silk Road route, (the militants) posed a persistent threat to the strategic road corridor and Chinese development projects."

"In light of this, the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) and the district police launched a joint operation today under a coordinated strategy."


India Seizes Three Iran-linked US-sanctioned Tankers

This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)
This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)
TT

India Seizes Three Iran-linked US-sanctioned Tankers

This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)
This photo posted on the X account of the US Department of Defense on February 15, 2026 shows what the Department of Defense says are US military forces preparing to interdict and board an oil tanker, the Veronica III, in the Indian Ocean. (Photo by Handout / US Department of Defense / AFP)

India has seized three US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran this month and stepped up surveillance in its maritime zone to curb illicit trade, a source said on Monday, confirming a post on X by Indian authorities earlier in February that had been deleted.

India aims to prevent its waters from being used for ship-to-ship transfers that obscure the origin of oil cargoes, the source with direct knowledge of the matter told ‌Reuters.

The seizures and ‌heightened surveillance follow an improvement in US-India relations. Washington ‌earlier ⁠this month announced it ⁠will cut import tariffs on Indian goods to 18% from 50%, after New Delhi agreed to stop Russian oil imports.

The three sanctioned vessels - Stellar Ruby, Asphalt Star and Al Jafzia - frequently changed their identities to evade law enforcement by coastal states, the source said, adding that their owners were based overseas.

VESSELS SEIZED OFFSHORE MUMBAI

Iranian state media cited the National Iranian Oil Company as ⁠saying that the three tankers seized by India ‌had no connection to the company. It ‌said that neither the cargoes nor the vessels were linked to the company.

Indian authorities ‌had said in a post on X on February 6 that ‌they intercepted three vessels about 100 nautical miles west of Mumbai after detecting suspicious activity involving a tanker in India's exclusive economic zone.

The post was later deleted, but the source confirmed that the vessels had been escorted to Mumbai for ‌further investigation.

The Indian Coast Guard has since deployed about 55 ships and between 10 and 12 aircraft for round-the-clock ⁠surveillance in its ⁠maritime zones, according to the source.

The US Office of Foreign Assets Control said last year it had sanctioned three vessels, called Global Peace, Chil 1, and Glory Star 1, with IMO numbers identical to the ships lately captured by India.

Two of the three tankers are linked to Iran, with Al Jafzia having carried fuel oil from Iran to Djibouti in 2025 and Stellar Ruby flagged in Iran, according to LSEG data.

The Asphalt Star mostly operated on voyages around China, the data show.

Sanctioned oil and fuel are often sold at deep discounts due to the risks involved, with intermediaries moving cargo through complex ownership structures, false documentation and mid-sea transfers that complicate enforcement.