WHO Praises Saudi Arabia’s ‘Impressive’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic

The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
TT

WHO Praises Saudi Arabia’s ‘Impressive’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic

The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.

The World Health Organization (WHO) welcomed on Thursday Saudi Arabia’s decision to allow only 60,000 residents vaccinated against COVID-19 to perform this year’s Hajj.

WHO representative to Saudi Arabia Dr. Ibrahim El-Ziq said the UN body supports the measures taken by the kingdom for this year’s holy pilgrimage because they are based on “scientific evidence to assess the risks.”

This reflects its good management of the health crisis, he said, describing Saudi Arabia’s response to the pandemic as “impressive” and the best in the region “if not the whole world.”

He also commended its mass vaccinations, noting that 70 percent of the residents have already received the first jab and will take the second shot in July.

His remarks were made Thursday during a virtual media briefing by the WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office (EMRO) on the COVID-19 situation in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and preparations for the Hajj.

WHO Regional Director for the EMRO Dr. Ahmed al-Mandhari, Director of Program Management at the WHO EMRO Rana Hajjeh, Deputy Saudi Minister of Health for Public Health Hani Jokhdar, El-Ziq and Health Emergency Preparedness and IHR Program Area Manager at WHO Dr. Dalia Samhouri took part in the virtual event.

“As of June 22, there have been around 179 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, including more than 3.9 million deaths, reported globally to WHO,” Mandhari said.

The Eastern Mediterranean region has reported around 10.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and around 213 500 deaths, he added.

He said the number of cases is declining for the 10th consecutive week, with the number of deaths stabilizing or declining slightly.

However, he said six countries in the region reported an increase in new cases last week, compared to the previous one.

The case increase in Oman and Yemen exceeded 20 percent, and Afghanistan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen have reported a more than 20 percent increase in the number of deaths.

Mandhari attributed these increases to the spread of variants of concern, non-compliance to preventative measures and vaccine inequity, which, along with vaccine hesitancy, is being witnessed globally and across the region.

“As of June 21, 2.4 billion vaccine doses had been administered globally, of which approximately 83 million were administered in the region, covering only 11 doses per 100 people (as of June 20).”

“While a handful of countries have high vaccination rates, eight of our 22 countries have vaccinated less than one percent of their population,” he noted.

Mandhari further stressed that the region still needs over 400 million doses to vaccinate priority groups – who make up 40 percent of the region’s population – by the end of the year.

“If countries immediately share doses with the COVAX Facility and if manufacturers prioritize COVAX orders, we will be in a better position to achieve WHO’s targets to vaccinate at least 10 percent of the population of every country by September, and at least 40 percent by the end of the year,” he explained.

The senior official pointed out that the COVAX Facility is playing an effective role in delivering vaccines to ensure the fastest, most equitable rollout of safe and effective vaccines to all.

“As of June 8, the COVAX Facility has shipped over 90 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to 131 countries, including to 21 countries in our region.”

More doses will be made available through COVAX this month to countries of the region, he revealed, especially to countries that have so far not received quantities sufficient to their needs.

He warned that variants of concern continue to circulate across the region.

“To date, 17 countries have officially reported detection of the VOC Alpha, 11 countries have reported the VOC Beta, three countries have reported the detection of the VOC Gamma, and seven countries have reported the VOC Delta.”

The WHO continues to observe how vaccine efficacy is affected by these new variants, but so far, vaccines are still proving effective against all new variants, he said.



King Salman Directs Disbursement of over SAR3 Billion as Ramadan Assistance for Social Security Beneficiaries

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
TT

King Salman Directs Disbursement of over SAR3 Billion as Ramadan Assistance for Social Security Beneficiaries

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, upon the recommendation of Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, has directed the disbursement of more than SAR3 billion in Ramadan assistance to social security beneficiaries, SPA reported.

The directive reflects the leadership’s commitment to addressing the needs of beneficiary families and ensuring their requirements are met during the holy month of Ramadan.

The generous assistance includes SAR1,000 for the head of each household and SAR500 for each dependent. The amounts are expected to be deposited directly into the beneficiaries’ bank accounts within the coming hours.

Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Ahmed Al-Rajhi expressed his gratitude and appreciation to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and the Crown Prince for this generous gesture toward social security beneficiaries and for their continued attention to citizens’ needs during Ramadan.


Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.