Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

Saudi Minister: Health Plan for Hajj Was a Success

Saudi Minister: Health Plan for Hajj Was a Success

Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 14:30
Neither COVID-19 nor any other epidemic diseases reported among pilgrims. Photo: Bashir Salih

The health plan for this year’s Hajj was a success, with no coronavirus cases detected among pilgrims, Saudi Minister of Health Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah announced on Thursday.


“This Hajj was successful, with neither COVID-19 nor any other epidemic diseases reported,” he said.


Earlier this week, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization, hailed the Saudi leadership on the preventive measures it has taken to protect the pilgrims.


“As the faithful gather to perform Hajj this year, we welcome the public health planning and steps Saudi Arabia has taken to ensure the safety of pilgrims and their communities during the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said in a tweet.


Al-Rabiah said Thursday that all the government agencies serving pilgrims had made great efforts in executing the Hajj health plans to prevent any infections during the Hajj season.


He also thanked Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for their “unlimited support” to the Ministry of Health and its workers, as well as all government agencies which took part in organizing the Hajj.


This year's Hajj had been limited to 60,000 vaccinated Saudi citizens or residents of Saudi Arabia.


Editor Picks

Multimedia