Lack of Funding Threatens UN Aid in Yemen

Workers handle sacks of wheat flour at a World Food Program food aid distribution center in Sanaa, Yemen (File photo: Reuters)
Workers handle sacks of wheat flour at a World Food Program food aid distribution center in Sanaa, Yemen (File photo: Reuters)
TT

Lack of Funding Threatens UN Aid in Yemen

Workers handle sacks of wheat flour at a World Food Program food aid distribution center in Sanaa, Yemen (File photo: Reuters)
Workers handle sacks of wheat flour at a World Food Program food aid distribution center in Sanaa, Yemen (File photo: Reuters)

The United Nations announced that it could reduce its humanitarian programs in Yemen due to a lack of funding, warning that “most of the money will run out in September.”

The Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General Stephane Dujarric said in a daily press briefing that heavy rains and flooding had affected at least 28,000 people, according to initial estimates.

“Our humanitarian partners [OCHA] on the ground are conducting assessments and providing assistance, including shelter, food, and health care,” he said.

Meanwhile, the coronavirus cases have increased over recent days, with concerns that the country is entering a third wave.

In addition, the spokesman indicated that just over 310,000 vaccines had been administered, meaning only 1 percent of the population has received their first dose.

At the same time, more than half of Yemenis face crisis levels of food insecurity, and 5 million people are only one step away from famine, according to the UN.

Dujarric cautioned that the Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan is currently 47 percent funded, with $1.82 billion has been received out of the $3.85 billion required. However, most of the money will run out in September.

The official stressed that “additional and predictable funding is urgently needed so that we can continue to send life-saving assistance to the people who need it.”

Due to limited funding, some UN agencies may have to scale back programs, as of September 2021, including water, sanitation, health, shelter, and other sectors.

According to the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the consequences will be catastrophic for millions of people.

“More than 16 million people will face hunger this year, and nearly 50,000 Yemenis are already starving to death in famine-like conditions.”

Over 20.1 million people in the country need some form of humanitarian assistance and protection due to a range of factors, including escalation of hostilities, economic collapse, reduced government capacity, severe shortages of humanitarian funding, and access challenges.

The United Nations says the fuel crisis, which began in mid-2020, especially in the north, has continued to negatively impact livelihoods, increasing pressure on the prices of food and water and other essential commodities.

It is crucial to ensure fuel supplies for at least three months to maintain the import and distribution of essential commodities without risking the supply chain.

OCHA noted that the increase in fuel prices is exacerbating the prices of food commodities throughout Yemen due to the deteriorating economic situation.

In general, livelihood activities are expected to experience reduced production due to above-average fuel prices, while transportation costs are rising, preventing people from traveling to market or accessing life-saving assistance and medical treatment.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.