Nasrallah’s Announcement to Import Iran Oil to Lebanon Sparks Spate of Warnings

Motorbike and car drivers wait to get fuel at a gas station, after the central bank decided to effectively end subsidies on fuel imports, in Damour, Lebanon, August 13, 2021. (Reuters)
Motorbike and car drivers wait to get fuel at a gas station, after the central bank decided to effectively end subsidies on fuel imports, in Damour, Lebanon, August 13, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Nasrallah’s Announcement to Import Iran Oil to Lebanon Sparks Spate of Warnings

Motorbike and car drivers wait to get fuel at a gas station, after the central bank decided to effectively end subsidies on fuel imports, in Damour, Lebanon, August 13, 2021. (Reuters)
Motorbike and car drivers wait to get fuel at a gas station, after the central bank decided to effectively end subsidies on fuel imports, in Damour, Lebanon, August 13, 2021. (Reuters)

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah’s announcement on Thursday that a vessel loaded with Iranian oil will be making its way to Lebanon to help it with its severe shortage has stirred a heated political debate and warnings of the implication such a move would have on the country.

The bankrupt Lebanese state can no longer afford key imports nor subsidize essential goods, leading to crippling and sometimes deadly shortages of electricity, petrol and medicines among other things.

Nasrallah Thursday said a tanker would set off from Iran to bring desperately needed fuel supplies to Lebanon, in defiance of US sanctions.

Nasrallah had previously said that he would turn to his movement’s ally Tehran if authorities failed to address acute and growing fuel shortages brought on by an economic crisis the World Bank has described as one of the planet’s worst since the mid-19th century.

The move, prohibited by US sanctions on Iran’s oil industry, could drag Lebanon into the covert naval war between Tehran and Israel, and Nasrallah dared Iran’s foes to stop the shipment.

Hezbollah’s rivals have warned of the danger of the move, which could ignite a war with Israel should it intercept the tanker.

The party’s allies have remained silent, while the presidency and energy ministry have yet to issue any clarification over Nasrallah’s statements.

Parliamentary sources that are not opposed to Hezbollah said the decision to import fuel lies in the hands of the executive authority, meaning the government and energy ministry.

They alone have the right to grant permission to unload oil derivative shipments at public ports, they told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Consequently, the executive authority must shoulder the consequences of suspicious moves, they added.

Sources at the energy ministry denied to MTV that it had received an official request to import Iranian oil to Lebanon.

Nasrallah said the first shipment would be dedicated to meeting the needs of hospitals, medicine manufacturers, food factories, bakeries and power generators.

He warned the Israelis and Americans that Hezbollah considers the vessel Lebanese territory, meaning it would retaliate should it come under attack.

Ships linked to both Iran and Israel have come under attack at sea in recent months, with the rivals trading blame.

The Iranian shipment may arrive in Lebanon in 12 to 15 days. It remains to be seen if it will be unloaded at Lebanese or Syrian ports or transported by land to Lebanon.

Nasrallah’s announcement sparked widespread concerns over the threat of US sanctions.

Former Prime Minister Saad Hariri asked: “Are the arrival of Iranian ships good news to the Lebanese or an omen that Lebanon will be dragged into internal and foreign conflicts?”

Hezbollah “is well aware that the Iranian ships will bring along to the Lebanese dangers and additional sanctions similar to the ones imposed on Venezuela and other countries,” he noted in a statement.

Saying that the Iranian ship is Lebanese territory “is the epitome of squandering our national sovereignty and an open invitation to treat Lebanon as an Iranian province,” he remarked.

“We will not under any circumstances provide cover for projects that would plunge Lebanon in futile wars that antagonize the Arabs and world,” he stressed.

“What sort of government do you want? One that begins its work by welcoming Iranian ships and colliding with the international community at a time when Lebanon is most in need of a government that enjoys the support of brothers and friends,” Hariri continued.

Lebanon has been without a government since August 2020. It resigned in wake of the cataclysmic explosion at Beirut port. Politicians, squabbling over shares and portfolios, have been unable to agree on a lineup even as the country plunges deeper in poverty and is hit with successive crises.

“Hezbollah can cover itself with the silence of the presidency, but it will not win the support of the majority of the Lebanese people. These positions will exacerbate the living and economic suffering of the people and pave the highway to hell,” Hariri warned.

Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea expressed alarm at Nasrallah’s announcement. In a message to Hezbollah’s ally, President Michel Aoun, he blamed the energy ministry, which has long been held by Aoun’s party, of impeding solutions to the country’s power and fuel crises.

“Will you allow the party, which has usurped Lebanon’s strategic, military and security decision-making power, to now usurp its economic decision-making power, sweeping aside the Lebanese people and their interests and completely destroying the private sector?” he wondered.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.