New Lebanon Govt Urged to Take Firm Stance on Iran Fuel Shipment

Hezbollah supporters celebrate in Baalbek on Thursday after the arrival of the Iranian fuel shipment. (AP)
Hezbollah supporters celebrate in Baalbek on Thursday after the arrival of the Iranian fuel shipment. (AP)
TT

New Lebanon Govt Urged to Take Firm Stance on Iran Fuel Shipment

Hezbollah supporters celebrate in Baalbek on Thursday after the arrival of the Iranian fuel shipment. (AP)
Hezbollah supporters celebrate in Baalbek on Thursday after the arrival of the Iranian fuel shipment. (AP)

The new Lebanese government is striving to avoid any blame over the recent import of Iranian fuel and its ensuing fallout.

Prime Minister Najib Mikati said last week that he was “saddened by the violation of Lebanon’s sovereignty”.

The operation was carried out by Hezbollah, Iran’s main ally, and included the import of some 4,000 tons of diesel oil (mazout) from Tehran through illegal border crossings.

The Iranian foreign ministry claimed that the shipment was sent to Lebanon through Syria at the request of Lebanese authorities.

Hezbollah’s sources on Sunday were quick to stress that the government had not made such a request.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said the shipment took place according to the regular purchasing process by Lebanese importers.

If the Lebanese government also wanted to purchase fuel from Iran, then it will immediately be at its disposal, he added.

Commenting on Mikati’s statements, he said: “Iran is always committed to supporting its friends and friendly governments.”

“Peace, security and stability in Lebanon are more important to us than anything and we are helping the Lebanese government to that end,” he stressed.

The shipment has sparked concern that it could harm Lebanon’s foreign relations given that Iran is under sanctions and barred from exporting its oil.

Sources from the Lebanese Forces told Asharq Al-Awsat: “Lebanon is living under the de facto circumstances imposed by Hezbollah, its weapons and role, as well as Iran’s meddling in Lebanese internal affairs.”

This has been represented through Iran’s support to and armament of the party at the expense of the Lebanese state and sovereignty, they remarked. The import of Iranian fuel violates Lebanon’s sovereignty because the process was not negotiated with the state, but rather through a political party.

Moreover, they noted that violations against Lebanon’s sovereignty increased during the term of President Michel Aoun and the cover he provided Hezbollah, and Iran by extension. This in turn has harmed Lebanon’s relations with Arab Gulf countries, with Lebanon transforming into a platform to launch verbal attacks against them.

The sources demanded that the new government take the appropriate stance in protecting Lebanon’s sovereignty and preserving its foreign relations.

They noted that the import took place when the new government was being formed and before it had earned parliament’s vote of confidence so that no cabinet can take full blame for the operation.

Founder and CEO of the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis (INEGMA), Riad Kahwaji said the “sadness” expressed by Mikati over the shipment is simply his sentiment, not the state’s official position.

“The prime minister takes decisions based on state interests and does not express feelings that mean nothing in relations between countries,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“A clear decision has been taken that the state refrain from voicing a clear position from the shipment and to keep its stance vague,” he noted. “The prime minister is aware that making an official request for Iranian oil without the approval of the United States will lead to sanctions against him and the government.”

“What is important right now is how the US and France will act if Hezbollah continued to import the fuel in this manner and without a government stance,” he went on to say.

Political analyst Kassem Kassir said Mikati’s position was aimed at simply making his objection heard. This means nothing seeing as the fuel has already entered Lebanon.

In other words, Mikati is conveying a message that the government has nothing to do with what happened, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.