The United States accused the armed Houthi movement of "standing in the way of peace" and continuing to commit brutal military offensives, unlike the US and Yemeni governments calling on Houthis to engage in UN-led talks.
US State Department Spokesman Ned Price said in a statement that Washington condemns the October 3 Houthi missile attack on the densely populated neighborhood of al-Rawdha in Marib, which killed two children and injured an estimated 33 civilians, including women and children, according to UN agencies.
Price asserted that civilians will suffer as long as the "brutal Houthi military offensives continue," adding that there is an "international consensus that now is the time to end the conflict, and the Republic of Yemen Government and Saudi Arabia have committed to stop fighting and resume political talks."
The spokesman recalled that since the beginning of the year, the Houthis had intensified their attacks, both inside Yemen and against Saudi Arabia, endangering the lives of civilians, including more than 70,000 US citizens living in Saudi Arabia.
"These actions exacerbate Yemen's humanitarian crisis, which has already reached historic proportions."
He called on the Houthis “to stop fighting and engage in UN-led talks to bring an end to this devastating war."
The international community urges the Houthis to return to negotiations and implement a ceasefire to end the Yemeni crisis. However, these efforts have failed to stop the battles in Marib, one of the last Yemeni areas under government control.
Houthis will have near-total control of northern Yemen if they seize control of Marib, giving them access to key oil and gas infrastructure and an "upper hand" in the talks to end the conflict, according to The Washington Post. "As for government forces, this would be a massive setback."
Several media reports indicate that Marib is densely populated after more than 1 million civilians fleeing fighting elsewhere have streamed into the province in recent years, and many could now be displaced again as the battle inches closer.
"Some, including children, have already been killed and wounded by missile attacks and shelling."
This year, the Houthis rejected a Saudi ceasefire offer that could have ended this bloodletting, saying they will agree to discuss a truce only once the airport in the capital, Sanaa, is reopened and all restrictions are lifted from the port of Hodeidah.
"The Saudi-led coalition continues to control the country's airspace and the port, a crucial lifeline for the country, which is submerged in what the United Nations has described as the world's worst humanitarian crisis," said the newspaper.
It indicated that at least 1,700 government troops in Marib province have been killed and around 7,000 wounded so far.
Chief of staff of the Yemeni army Lt. Gen. Sagheer bin Aziz told The Washington Post that the Houthis, who do not release official death counts, are also believed by analysts to be sustaining severe casualties.
The withdrawal of US support "affected our morale as leaders," said bin Aziz. "We want our American friends to reconsider this decision."
The US administration faces many domestic and foreign criticisms for not ending the ongoing Yemeni suffering.
Several US Republican and Democratic members of Congress demand intensifying political and diplomatic efforts and the use of new methods and practical tools to stop the Yemeni bloodshed urgently.