The US State Department said it was suspending $700 million in aid that was designed to support Sudan’s democratic transition, after the Sudanese military seized power from a transitional government on Monday.
“In light of these developments, the United States is pausing assistance from the $700 million in emergency assistance appropriations of economic support funds for Sudan,” State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters, saying none of the $700 million had been transferred and so the entire sum was paused.
“The civilian-led transitional government should be immediately restored and represents the will of the people,” he urged.
“We are very much standing with the people of Sudan. The people of Sudan have made clear their aspirations for the continuation of transition to democracy and we will continue to support that including, if needed, by holding accountable those responsible for these anti-democratic actions.”
Price said that the US received no prior knowledge of the military’s intention to oust Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who was detained, and had not been able to make contact with him.