Iran Delegation Kicks Off Consultations In Vienna Ahead of Monday’s Official Talks

 Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File
Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File
TT

Iran Delegation Kicks Off Consultations In Vienna Ahead of Monday’s Official Talks

 Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File
Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said there had been no progress in talks with Tehran to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. JOE KLAMAR AFP/File

An Iranian delegation headed by Ali Bagheri Kani Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs arrived in the Austrian capital and began preliminary talks 48 hours before the resumption of negotiations between Tehran and major powers to revive the 2015 nuclear agreement.

Discussions over the nuclear deal, which will kick off on Monday, will be headed by the European Union, in the presence of delegations from France, Britain, Germany, Russia and China. The US delegation, chaired by Special Envoy to Iran Robert Malley, will be outside the direct negotiating room, similar to the six previous rounds, at the request of Iran.

State-run ISNA news agency stated that the first round of talks between the parties to the nuclear agreement following the election of President Ibrahim Raisi “will be held at the level of deputy foreign ministers,” pointing to Tehran’s insistence on “lifting all the sanctions” in order to return to the negotiating table.

Iranian news sites reported that the negotiating team includes 40 people, including the deputy governor of the Central Bank, and representatives of the ministries of economy and trade. It was not clear whether the Iranian experts and officials, who attended the last six rounds, will be present at Monday’s talks.

Permanent Russian Envoy to International Organizations Mikhail Ulyanov tweeted that informal bilateral consultations began in Vienna in preparation for the resumption of official talks. The Russian official pointed out that reviving the nuclear agreement “requires a great effort.”

“If the opposing parties are willing to return to their full commitments and lift the sanctions, it will be possible to reach a good agreement, even an immediate one,” Iranian Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian said in a telephone conversation with EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell.

“Iran wants a good, verifiable agreement,” and it will attend the talks “in good faith,” he added.

In turn, Borrell wrote on Twitter that he told Abdollahian that getting the nuclear deal back on track was more urgent than ever.

His call came after the United States and its allies - France, Germany and Britain - issued an explicit warning to Tehran, saying that if Iran’s non-cooperation is not immediately addressed... the Council will have no choice but to re-convene in an extraordinary session before the end of the year to deal with the crisis.

The Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, said following a visit to Tehran on Monday that no progress had been made on a number of issues.

“In terms of the substance... we were not able to make progress,” he told reporters, saying that the lack of agreement had come “in spite of my best efforts”.

Grossi had sought to tackle constraints put on IAEA inspections earlier this year, outstanding questions over the presence of undeclared nuclear material at sites in Iran, and the treatment of IAEA staff in the country.

Parallel to the tension between Iran and the IAEA, Israel escalated its rhetoric, threatening to resort to a military strike.

On Thursday evening, Israel’s Channel 12 revealed a British intelligence report, which until recently was only available to senior Western intelligence officials, indicating that Iran has enough enriched uranium to develop a bomb within a month.

The channel quoted a senior Israeli official as saying that Tehran accumulated invaluable knowledge, and thus the agreements signed with it became devoid of content. But he noted that Iran currently lacks a design for a warhead that is small enough to be affixed atop any of its arsenal of ballistic missiles, which will take them two other years to develop.



Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
TT

Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN

A building collapse caused by an explosion in Pakistan's southern megacity of Karachi killed at least 16 people on Thursday, including children, officials said.

More than a dozen people were injured in the incident in the Soldier Bazaar neighborhood of Karachi at around 4:00 am, when Muslim families start preparing Sehri, the pre-sunrise meal eaten during Ramadan.


Australian Police Investigate Threatening Letter to Country's Largest Mosque

FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo
TT

Australian Police Investigate Threatening Letter to Country's Largest Mosque

FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo

Australian police said on Thursday they had launched an investigation after a threatening letter was sent to the country’s largest mosque, the third such incident in the lead-up to the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

The letter sent to Lakemba Mosque in Sydney’s west on Wednesday contained a drawing of a pig and a threat to kill the "Muslim race", local media reported. Police said they had taken the letter for forensic testing, and would continue to patrol ‌religious sites including ‌the mosque, as well as community events.

The latest letter ‌comes ⁠weeks after a ⁠similar message was mailed to the mosque, depicting Muslim people inside a mosque on fire.

Police have also arrested and charged a 70-year-old man in connection with a third threatening letter sent to Lakemba Mosque's staff in January.

The Lebanese Muslim Association, which runs the mosque, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) it had written to the government to request more funding for additional security guards and ⁠CCTV cameras.

Some 5,000 people are expected to attend ‌the mosque each night during Ramadan. More ‌than 60% of residents in the suburb of Lakemba identify as Muslim, according to ‌the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Bilal El-Hayek, mayor of Canterbury-Bankstown council, where Lakemba ‌is located, said the community was feeling "very anxious".

"I've heard first-hand from people saying that they won't be sending their kids to practice this Ramadan because they're very concerned about things that might happen in local mosques," AFP quoted him as saying.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ‌condemned the recent string of threats.

"It is outrageous that people just going about commemorating their faith, particularly during the ⁠holy month ⁠for Muslims of Ramadan, are subject to this sort of intimidation," he told ABC radio.

"I have said repeatedly we need to turn down the temperature of political discourse in this country, and we certainly need to do that."

Anti-Muslim sentiment has been growing in Australia since the war in Gaza War in late 2023, according to a recent report commissioned by the government.

The Islamophobia Register Australia has also documented a 740% rise in reports following the Bondi mass shooting on December 14, where authorities allege two gunmen inspired by ISIS killed 15 people attending a Jewish holiday celebration.

"There's been a massive increase post-Bondi," Mayor El-Hayek said. "Without a doubt, this is the worst I have ever seen it. There's a lot of tension out there."


Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
TT

Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in ‌an interview made public on Wednesday, said that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences and called for restraint to find a solution to enable Iran to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Lavrov's interview with Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya television was aired a day after US and Iranian negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva to head off a new mounting crisis between Washington and Tehran, Reuters said.

"The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on ‌nuclear sites ‌under the control of the International Atomic ‌Energy ⁠Agency. From what ⁠we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident," Lavrov said in the interview, which was posted on his ministry's website.

"I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire."

Boosting ⁠tensions, he said, could undo the ‌positive steps of recent years, including ‌improved relations between Iran and nearby countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

A senior ‌US official told Reuters on Wednesday that Iran was ‌expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States after the talks in Geneva.

US national security advisers met in the White House on Wednesday and ‌were told all US military forces deployed to the region should be in place ⁠by mid-March, ⁠the official said.

The United States wants Iran to give up its nuclear program, and Iran has adamantly refused and denied it is trying to develop an atomic weapon.

Lavrov said Arab countries were sending signals to Washington "clearly calling for restraint and a search for an agreement that will not infringe on Iran's lawful rights and ... guarantee that Iran has a purely peaceful nuclear enrichment program".

Russia, he said, remained in close, regular contact with Iran's leaders "and we have no reason to doubt that Iran sincerely wants to resolve this problem on the basis of observing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty".