US, Israel Reaffirm Pressure on Iran to Stop ‘Nuclear Enrichment’

A photo distributed by the US State Department of Blinken and his German counterpart Annalina Birbock at a press conference in Washington on Wednesday
A photo distributed by the US State Department of Blinken and his German counterpart Annalina Birbock at a press conference in Washington on Wednesday
TT

US, Israel Reaffirm Pressure on Iran to Stop ‘Nuclear Enrichment’

A photo distributed by the US State Department of Blinken and his German counterpart Annalina Birbock at a press conference in Washington on Wednesday
A photo distributed by the US State Department of Blinken and his German counterpart Annalina Birbock at a press conference in Washington on Wednesday

The United States and Israel affirmed that the challenges posed by Iran in the region are going to be confronted, as Washington emphasized commitment to the "security and safety of Israel".

The US position came as major countries are meeting in Vienna for indirect negotiations between Iran and the United States, aimed at saving the 2015 nuclear agreement.

The State Department said in a statement that US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart, Yair Lapid, discussed, in a phone call, Wednesday evening, a set of regional and global issues, including "the challenges posed by Iran."

The two sides also discussed "the dangers of Russian aggression against Ukraine," noting that "Blinken reiterated the administration's firm commitment to Israel's security."

In a tweet, Lapid said he discussed the regional and global challenges with Blinken, and the need to “pressure Iran to halt its nuclear weapons race.”

Lapid and Blinken did not mention the exact nature of the "pressure on Iran."

The call came a few hours after Axios reported that US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan, during a visit to Jerusalem last month, informed Israeli officials that the “snapback” mechanism in the nuclear agreement, was an effective way to "deter Iran from enriching weapons-grade uranium.”

Sullivan said he was very concerned that the Iranians felt they were getting closer to the possibility of breaking out toward a nuclear weapon. The sanctions would be particularly devastating to Iran's economy because all UN members would be bound to comply, the report said.

In turn, Israeli Foreign Ministry officials told Sullivan they believe the United States and the European troika (France, Germany, and Britain) should move forward with the “snapback” mechanism if the Vienna negotiations yield nothing, regardless of Iran’s enrichment levels and uranium production.

“Only the UK had shown any openness to the snapback idea so far,” Israeli officials say after Iran abandoned all of its commitments under the agreement and increased its uranium enrichment from less than 4 percent to 60 percent, a "technical short" step from weapons levels seen by some observers, as international inspectors face challenges in monitoring progress.

Israel strongly opposed talks aimed at restoring the agreement; but in recent weeks, officials have indicated a shift toward "accepting an agreement in some form."

State Department spokesperson Ned Price said there had been “some modest progress” in recent days.

Meanwhile, several Republican lawmakers accused the Biden administration of opposing a provision in the Department of Defense budget law for 2022, which requires the administration to provide Congress with "detailed reports" on Iran's military capabilities, funds, and related activities.

According to the law's provisions, it requires a "detailed description" of Iran's military progress, all arms sales and transfers to and from Iran, all missile launches by Iran, and changes in the capabilities of Iranian-backed military groups.

The American Free Beacon website quoted foreign policy leaders of the Republican Party in Congress, criticizing the Biden administration's decision not to comply with the legal mandate, by providing details to Congress about Iran's capabilities, and how easing sanctions on Iran would not enhance the regime's ability to launch terrorist attacks.

“Biden’s administration does not want Congress to know how much money Iran's terrorist allies are getting because of sanctions relief, while negotiations continue with Tehran on a new nuclear deal,” Republicans say.

The "strict reporting" requirement in the National Defense Authorization Act, is the first of its kind and will compel the administration to "provide details about how sanctions relief will support Tehran's terrorist allies," and strengthen the capabilities of the militias, referring to Lebanon's Hezbollah, the Houthis in Yemen, and the Hamas movement.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.