Middle Eastern Countries on Brink of Wheat Crisis

The destroyed silo sits in rubble and debris after an explosion at the seaport of Beirut, Lebanon, on August 5, 2020. (AP)
The destroyed silo sits in rubble and debris after an explosion at the seaport of Beirut, Lebanon, on August 5, 2020. (AP)
TT

Middle Eastern Countries on Brink of Wheat Crisis

The destroyed silo sits in rubble and debris after an explosion at the seaport of Beirut, Lebanon, on August 5, 2020. (AP)
The destroyed silo sits in rubble and debris after an explosion at the seaport of Beirut, Lebanon, on August 5, 2020. (AP)

Since the eruption of the Russian-Ukrainian tensions, fears have emerged that the global wheat and grain markets will be severely affected, given that the two countries secure an important part of global exports.

Russia and Ukraine account for 29% of world wheat exports, 19% of corn exports, and 80% of global exports of sunflower oil.

Since the launch of Russia's invasion against Ukraine on Thursday, wheat prices on the Chicago Stock Exchange have risen to their highest level in nine and a half years, while the conflict threatens to disrupt the flow of supplies from the region.

Meanwhile, European wheat futures jumped to a record peak, and wheat prices reached 344 euros per ton at the Euronext group, which operates a number of European stock exchanges.

Ukraine is a major exporter of corn, most of which goes to China and the European Union. Russia is also competing in supplying wheat to major buyers, such as Egypt and Turkey.

An adviser to the Ukrainian president’s chief aide said the army suspended commercial shipping in Ukrainian ports after Russian forces invaded the country, fueling fears of supply disruption.

Officials and sources in the grain sector had previously said Russia also indefinitely suspended the movement of commercial ships in the Azov Sea, but kept its ports on the Black Sea open to navigation.

In the midst of this political dilemma, the countries of the Middle East, mainly Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq and the Maghreb countries, are threatened with a serious problem, as their major reliance on Ukrainian and Russian wheat would be difficult to compensate from other markets.

Lebanon faces a severe crisis

Lebanon had lost its grain storage capacity since the massive explosion that rocked the port of Beirut in August 2020 and destroyed the wheat silos.

On Friday, Lebanese Economy Minister Amin Salam told Reuters that wheat reserves were sufficient for one month at most, adding that he was seeking to conclude import agreements from different countries amid market concerns over the Ukrainian crisis.

He added that Lebanon, which imports nearly 60% of its wheat from Ukraine, was in talks with other countries including the United States and India to import wheat.

“We don’t want to create a state of panic, we have positive indicators,” the minister told Reuters.

Earlier on Friday, Georges Berbari, the ministry’s general director of grains and sugar beets, told Reuters that Lebanon’s wheat reserves were enough for 1.5-2 months.

Two wheat shipments headed for Lebanon were being loaded in Ukraine, but they have been delayed by the war, he revealed.

Distress call from Yemen

The World Food Program (WFP) warned on Thursday that the war in Ukraine would likely increase fuel and food prices in war-torn Yemen, which could push more residents into starvation as aid funding dwindles.

The WFP has had to cut food rations for eight million people in Yemen, as the seven-year war between the government and the Iran-backed Houthi militias has pushed the country to the brink of famine.

“The escalation of conflict in Ukraine is likely to further increase fuel and food prices and especially grains in the import-dependent country,” said a WFP statement on Thursday.

It added: “Food prices have more than doubled across much of Yemen over the past year, leaving more than half of the country in need of food assistance.”

“We have no choice but to take food from the hungry to feed the starving and, unless we receive immediate funding, in a few weeks we risk not even being able to feed the starving,” the WFP statement cited WFP Executive Director David Beasley as saying.

“This will be hell on earth,” he warned.

A daunting task

In Egypt, the most populous Arab state and the world’s biggest importer of wheat, the authorities will scramble to find urgent alternatives to feed 100 million citizens, with the country importing about 40% of its needs from Russia and Ukraine.

However, multi-pronged moves are likely to solve the crisis, including the local expansion of wheat cultivations and diversification of imports, in addition to having reasonable reserves that are enough for six months.

Moreover, the country’s local production is sufficient to produce daily bread, Dr. Saad Nassar, economist and advisor to the Egyptian Ministry of Agriculture, told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Egypt’s state grains buyer, the General Authority for Supply Commodities (GASC), cancelled its international purchasing tender on Thursday because of a lack of offers. The Authority received one offer at $399 a ton for 60,000 tons of French wheat on a free-on-board (FOB) basis in its international tender on Thursday, traders said.

Reassuring messages

In Tunisia, the Ministry of Agriculture revealed the availability of sufficient grain stock to cover local needs until next May.

Abdel Sattar Fihri, Director of Supply at the Grain Office, said that about 80% of Tunisia’s grain imports came from Russia and Ukraine, which necessitates taking precautionary measures as the crisis could last long and impact shipments.

He added that the Ministry of Agriculture had ordered a search for other markets, such as Bulgaria, Romania, Uruguay and Argentina, for new bid requests, and to avoid Russia and Ukraine during this period.

Similarly, a spokesman for the Iraqi Ministry of Trade said on Thursday that his country has a sufficient strategic stock of wheat from its purchases from local farmers, adding that he was not worried about reserves. But he added that Iraq might resort to the market to buy wheat if the crisis between Russia and Ukraine is prolonged.



Makkah Gears Up for Ramadan with Tourism Drive, Record Hospitality Growth  

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Makkah Gears Up for Ramadan with Tourism Drive, Record Hospitality Growth  

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Tourism has raised the readiness of Makkah’s hospitality sector to its highest level ahead of the holy month of Ramadan, stressing that serving pilgrims and visitors remains a top national priority.

Makkah is preparing to receive worshippers and visitors amid a marked expansion in hospitality capacity. The city now has more than 2,200 licensed accommodation facilities, reflecting growth of 35 percent over the past year. The number of licensed hotel rooms has exceeded 380,000, up 25 percent, while total domestic and inbound tourism spending is projected to surpass SAR 143 billion ($38.1 billion) in 2025.

The wider Makkah region recorded unprecedented performance indicators last year, both in visitor numbers and tourism spending, underscoring sustained growth and operational readiness.

Total domestic and international visitors exceeded 50 million, marking a 14 percent increase compared with 2024.

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb announced the figures during an annual inspection tour on Tuesday, stressing that the indicators reflect a major expansion in accommodation capacity and record growth in visitor numbers.

The tour included inspections of temporary lodging facilities designated for pilgrims, part of a proactive plan to increase capacity during peak seasons, alongside early preparations for the upcoming Hajj.

Vision 2030 targets surpassed

Official data has shown that Saudi Arabia has exceeded its Vision 2030 targets for the Umrah. The number of pilgrims arriving from abroad rose from 8.5 million in 2019 to more than 18 million in 2025, surpassing the original goal of 15 million by 2030.

A number of hotels surrounding the Grand Mosque in Makkah. (General Authority for Awqaf)

Service quality indicators improved as well, with pilgrim satisfaction reaching 94 percent, exceeding Vision 2030 benchmarks.

Workforce development kept pace with demand, as the number of licensed tour guides rose to more than 980, a 23 percent increase.

Masar Mall project

Al-Khateeb announced a joint financing agreement between the Tourism Development Fund and the Arab National Bank with Hamat Holding to support the Masar Mall project. The development carries a total cost of SAR 936 million (about $250 million).

The project is expected to become the largest shopping center in Makkah with the capacity to accommodate around 20 million visitors annually.

Its location near the Haramain High-Speed Railway station and a direct pedestrian link to the Grand Mosque are expected to strengthen the city’s commercial and tourism infrastructure.

Jeddah: Gateway to pilgrims

Meanwhile, Jeddah continues to consolidate its position as a complementary destination to Makkah and a primary gateway for pilgrims, while also expanding its role as a coastal tourism hub.

The city welcomed more than 13 million domestic and international visitors in 2025, a 10 percent increase from 2024. Tourism spending reached SAR 28 billion ($7.47 billion), up 6 percent year on year.

Jeddah’s hospitality sector also expanded, with more than 500 licensed facilities and over 33,000 licensed rooms.

The city is currently developing 46 tourism projects valued at SAR 21 billion ($5.6 billion) and expected to add more than 11,000 hotel rooms and further strengthen its tourism infrastructure and economic value.


ECB President Lagarde Reportedly Plans to Quit Before Macron's Term Ends

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
TT

ECB President Lagarde Reportedly Plans to Quit Before Macron's Term Ends

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde plans to leave her job before next year's French presidential election to allow Emmanuel Macron to have an input into picking her successor, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.

Lagarde's term is due to end in October 2027 but some fear that the far right may win the French presidential race ‌in the spring of ‌2027, complicating the selection for the ‌new ⁠leader of Europe's most ⁠important financial institution.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, the FT said Lagarde has not yet decided on the exact timing of her departure but was keen on Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to be the key deciders in who succeeds her. Macron cannot run again for a third term.

"President Lagarde is ⁠totally focused on her mission and has not ‌taken any decision regarding the end ‌of her term," Reuters quoted an ECB spokesperson as saying.

The FT report comes only ‌a week after Bank of France Governor Francois Villeroy de Galhau ‌said he would step down in June this year, more than a year before the end of his term, allowing Macron to name his replacement before the presidential election that the far-right could win.

While it ‌will be up to all leaders from the 21-nation euro zone to pick Lagarde's successor, ⁠past practice ⁠suggests that any successful candidate must have both German and French support to clinch the role.

There are no formal candidates for the job yet but several names have been floating among ECB circles as potential ECB presidents. The most prominent among these are former Dutch central bank chief Klaas Knot and Bank for International Settlements General Manager Pablo Hernandez de Cos.

Lagarde's non-renewable term at the ECB runs until October 31, 2027. Prior to heading the ECB, she was managing director of the International Monetary Fund from 2011 to 2019 and before that, the French finance minister.


UK Inflation Falls to 3.0% in January

Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
TT

UK Inflation Falls to 3.0% in January

Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)
Pedestrians cross Westminster Bridge in front of Parliament during the early morning hours in London, Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026.(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Britain's annual ‌rate of consumer price inflation fell to 3.0% in January from 3.4% in December, official figures showed on Wednesday.

A Reuters poll of economists had shown a median forecast of 3.0% in January and the Bank of England projected earlier this month that the headline measure of inflation would slow to ‌2.9%.

British inflation ‌has run higher than in ‌the ⁠United States and in ⁠the euro zone where it stood at 2.4% and 1.7% respectively in January.

But the BoE expects the pace of price rises to slow sharply to almost its 2% target in ⁠April as last year's rises ‌in utility costs and ‌other government-controlled tariffs fall out of ‌the annual comparison.

Investors expect the central bank ‌to cut its benchmark interest rate to 3.5% at its next meeting in March after a tight vote to keep borrowing costs ‌on hold in February although some policymakers remain worried about underlying ⁠inflation ⁠pressure.

Financial markets on Tuesday also priced a second quarter-point interest rate cut by the BoE by the end of in 2026.

ONS data last week painted a downbeat picture of Britain's economy at the end of 2025 with output barely growing. Figures released on Tuesday showed the labor market was still losing jobs although there were some signs of a stabilization.