Egypt: Mubarak's Family Hails Swiss Decision to Release Funds as 'Full Exoneration'

Hosni Mubarak with his sons at court, Egypt (File photo: AP)
Hosni Mubarak with his sons at court, Egypt (File photo: AP)
TT

Egypt: Mubarak's Family Hails Swiss Decision to Release Funds as 'Full Exoneration'

Hosni Mubarak with his sons at court, Egypt (File photo: AP)
Hosni Mubarak with his sons at court, Egypt (File photo: AP)

Swiss prosecutors dropped an 11-year investigation into alleged money laundering and organized crime by Egyptians close to late former President Hosni Mubarak, toppled by the January 2011 uprising.

The office of the Swiss attorney general said Wednesday that despite the numerous "inquiries and having transferred 32 million Swiss francs to Egypt in 2018, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) must now accept that the investigation has been unable to substantiate suspicions that would justify the indictment of anyone in Switzerland or any forfeiture of assets."

Mubarak's sons, Alaa and Gamal, hailed the decision as a full exoneration.

Gamal Mubarak said the decision "validates the position we have held all along" following more than a decade of "intrusive investigations, sanctions, and mutual legal assistance proceedings."

"The decision marks an important step in our efforts to assert our rights and prove our innocence from the flagrantly false allegations against us over the past 11 years," he said.

Swiss prosecutors confirmed they would release the remaining 400 million Swiss francs ($429 million) that had been frozen.

The Swiss decision follows a ruling by the European Union General Court on April 6 to uphold the annulment of EU sanctions against Mubarak and his family, which had unfrozen their assets.

Mubarak's family welcomed the decision, ending a decade-long legal battle.

The family said it received a "substantial payment" from the EU Council to refund legal costs.

The Swiss inquiry began in 2011 following events related to protests that led to the downfall of long-time Egyptian leader Mubarak.

The Swiss government froze assets held in Switzerland by Mubarak and members of his entourage.

The case initially involved 14 suspects, including Mubarak's two sons and 28 people and 45 legal entities whose assets were seized.

The original suspects, most of whom held official or critical economic positions in Egypt, were thought to have used Switzerland to launder the proceeds of corrupt acts.

The court convicted Mubarak and his two sons and seized the funds allocated to the Egyptian presidential palaces.

In 2018, the Court of Cassation rejected their request for reconciliation, issuing its decision to three years in prison and a fine of EGP125.799 million. They were also ordered to return EGP21.197 billion.

Mubarak passed away in February 2020 at the age of 91.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.