Security Council Calls for Swift Formation of New Government in Lebanon

The UN Security Council. File photo
The UN Security Council. File photo
TT
20

Security Council Calls for Swift Formation of New Government in Lebanon

The UN Security Council. File photo
The UN Security Council. File photo

The 15 members of the UN Security Council called on Wednesday for the quick formation of a new inclusive government in Lebanon and the urgent implementation of previously outlined tangible reforms, including the swift adoption of an appropriate budget for 2022.

The swift formation of a new cabinet “would enable the quick conclusion of an agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), to respond to the demands of the Lebanese population,” according to the text of the statement, which was drafted by France.

The members also stressed the role of the Lebanese institutions, including the newly elected Parliament, in the implementation of the reforms necessary to tackle the unprecedented crisis.

They underlined the importance of delivering those reforms in order to ensure effective international support.

Moreover, they encouraged measures to enhance women’s full, equal and meaningful political participation and representation, including in the new government.

Council members stressed once again the need for a swift conclusion of an independent, impartial, thorough, and transparent investigation into the explosion that struck Beirut on August 4, 2020, which is essential to meet the legitimate aspirations of the Lebanese people for accountability and justice.

One day after the Lebanese parliamentary elections were held on May 15, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called on Lebanon to form an “inclusive government” to tackle the country's economic crisis.

The UN chief said he looked forward to the swift formation of an inclusive government that can finalize the agreement with the IMF and accelerate the implementation of reforms necessary to set Lebanon on the path to recovery.

Iran-backed Hezbollah and its allies have lost their majority in Lebanon's parliament, a major blow to the armed group that reflects anger with Lebanon's ruling elite.

The new Lebanese Parliament should now elect a parliamentary speaker. Hezbollah’s ally, Speaker Nabih Berri has held the position since 1992.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.