Wimbledon Draw Opens Up for Nadal as Swiatek Bids to Extend Run

Iga Swiatek, of Poland, reacts after defeating Viktorija Golubic, of Switzerland, during the Miami Open tennis tournament, Friday, March 25, 2022, in Miami Gardens, Fla. Swiatek clinched the WTA world's No. 1 ranking. (AP Photo/Marta Lavandier)
Iga Swiatek, of Poland, reacts after defeating Viktorija Golubic, of Switzerland, during the Miami Open tennis tournament, Friday, March 25, 2022, in Miami Gardens, Fla. Swiatek clinched the WTA world's No. 1 ranking. (AP Photo/Marta Lavandier)
TT

Wimbledon Draw Opens Up for Nadal as Swiatek Bids to Extend Run

Iga Swiatek, of Poland, reacts after defeating Viktorija Golubic, of Switzerland, during the Miami Open tennis tournament, Friday, March 25, 2022, in Miami Gardens, Fla. Swiatek clinched the WTA world's No. 1 ranking. (AP Photo/Marta Lavandier)
Iga Swiatek, of Poland, reacts after defeating Viktorija Golubic, of Switzerland, during the Miami Open tennis tournament, Friday, March 25, 2022, in Miami Gardens, Fla. Swiatek clinched the WTA world's No. 1 ranking. (AP Photo/Marta Lavandier)

Rafael Nadal tops the bill in the Wimbledon second round on Thursday, eyeing a clear path to the semi-finals as Iga Swiatek seeks a 37th consecutive win.

Two-time winner Nadal, hunting a calendar Grand Slam, was given a fright in his opener before finding his mojo against Francisco Cerundolo to win in four sets, AFP said.

The Spaniard has benefited from the withdrawal of last year's finalist Matteo Berrettini with coronavirus and a shock first-round exit for Canada's sixth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime.

The major threat to Nadal's hopes for a third Wimbledon crown on his side of the draw is Greek fourth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas, who faces Australia's Jordan Thompson.

Second seed Nadal, who takes on Lithuanian journeyman Ricardas Berankis, is halfway to a calendar Slam after winning the Australian Open and French Open this year.

The feat has not been achieved in men's tennis since Rod Laver did it in 1969, with Novak Djokovic falling at the final hurdle last year when he lost in the US Open final.

Nadal, a 22-time Grand Slam champion, struggled with crippling foot pain throughout the French Open but has received treatment aimed at reducing the pain and was moving freely on Tuesday.

"I need to keep improving things," said the 36-year-old after his tough test against Argentina's Cerundolo.

"But at the end of the match I improved. At the most critical moment, I think I raised my level. That's a very positive thing."

- Tsitsipas threat -
Tsitsipas is full of confidence after winning on grass in Mallorca on Saturday to secure the ninth singles title of his career but has never gone beyond the fourth round at the All England Club.

"Having tournament wins on surfaces elevates you, puts you in a better mood, as well," he said.

"It is very good for your self-esteem, and that's how I have been feeling. It's important to feel that way, especially when you are competing at the highest level of tennis."

The antics of Nick Kyrgios will be closely watched when he plays Filip Krajinovic after the Australian took aim at "disrespect" from fans following his five-set win over Britain's Paul Jubb.

The 27-year-old, who stunned Nadal on his way to the quarter-finals at the All England Club in 2014, is a potential threat after semi-final runs in grass-court events in Stuttgart and Halle.

Seeds are also tumbling on the other side of the men's draw, with notable early losers including third seed Casper Ruud and last year's semi-finalist Hubert Hurkacz.

But top seed Novak Djokovic, seeking to draw level with Pete Sampras on seven Wimbledon titles, is already safely through to the last 32.

In the women's competition, Poland's Swiatek, who has won her past six tournaments, takes on Dutch player Lesley Pattinama Kerkhove.

"It's amazing for me to have that kind of streak," said the 21-year-old top seed. "It just shows how much work we've been putting for every match.

"I'm pretty happy that I could show consistency because it was always my goal."

Simona Halep, the 2019 champion, plays Belgium's Kirsten Flipkens while 11th seed Coco Gauff faces Romania's Mihaela Buzarnescu.

Two-time winner Petra Kvitova, who won the Eastbourne grass-court title last week, takes on Ana Bogdan while 2021 finalist Karolina Pliskova and Serena Williams's conqueror Harmony Tan are also in action.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.