Slain Palestinian Reporter’s Family ‘Outraged’ as Biden Arrives in Israel

Lina Abu Akleh, the niece of slain Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, watches on a television screen at the family home in occupied east Jerusalem, the speech of US President Joe Biden, upon his arrival at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport, on July 13, 2022. (AFP)
Lina Abu Akleh, the niece of slain Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, watches on a television screen at the family home in occupied east Jerusalem, the speech of US President Joe Biden, upon his arrival at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport, on July 13, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Slain Palestinian Reporter’s Family ‘Outraged’ as Biden Arrives in Israel

Lina Abu Akleh, the niece of slain Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, watches on a television screen at the family home in occupied east Jerusalem, the speech of US President Joe Biden, upon his arrival at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport, on July 13, 2022. (AFP)
Lina Abu Akleh, the niece of slain Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, watches on a television screen at the family home in occupied east Jerusalem, the speech of US President Joe Biden, upon his arrival at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport, on July 13, 2022. (AFP)

The niece of slain Palestinian American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh expressed "outrage" Wednesday as US President Joe Biden arrived in Israel, condemning Washington for inaction over her killing.

Lina Abu Akleh watched on television from her home in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem as Air Force One touched down near Tel Aviv, just over two months after her aunt, a veteran Al Jazeera correspondent, was shot in the head while covering an Israeli army raid in the occupied West Bank.

The United Nations concluded she was killed by Israeli fire in Jenin, while wearing a helmet and vest marked "Press". The family is adamant she was deliberately targeted, which Israel denies.

Drawing on rival probes by the Israelis and Palestinians, the US State Department concluded on July 4 that she was likely shot from an Israeli military position, but said there was no evidence of intent to kill.

"Sadness, outrage and, just, upset," said Lina on watching Biden arrive, describing feelings stemming from "the lack of action they (the US) have taken towards the case of Shireen."

"The amount of power that the US administration has to make a change, yet not taking that political choice to do that, is very frustrating," said the 27-year-old, dressed in black.

"They either choose their interests with Israel, or they carry out a meaningful effort towards accountability and justice for Shireen," she added.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken called Lina while en route to Tel Aviv with the president, inviting the family to Washington.

But Lina said they are still awaiting a response to their request to meet with the president during his time in Jerusalem.

Portraits of Shireen hang at the entrance to their home, while the journalist's dog lay at Lina's feet.

As Al Jazeera broadcast footage of Biden's arrival, Lina said she has still not got used to the absence of her aunt's voice on the network.

"It's so weird watching this because Shireen would have been the one" covering such events, she said.

'Still in grief'

During Biden's talks with Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid, the Abu Akleh family hopes the president will press his host for details about the journalist's killing on May 11.

Lina said that the Israeli authorities have the name of the soldier who shot her aunt.

Rashida Tlaib, a US congresswoman of Palestinian origin, has said the president "must obtain the names of the soldiers responsible for killing Shireen, along with that of their commanding officer."

The Democrat lawmaker has also echoed the Abu Akleh family's call for US authorities to launch their own probe, one that would see "these individuals... fully prosecuted for their crimes by the Department of Justice".

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz said last week it remained impossible to determine the source of the shooting, and "the investigation will continue."

The Israeli army's top lawyer has not ruled out criminal charges against an individual soldier over Abu Akleh's killing but said prosecution was unlikely, as she was shot in what the military deemed a scene of active combat.

Biden did not mention the case in his remarks on landing in Israel, before embarking on his two-night stay during which he will also meet with Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas.

In Jerusalem, the Abu Akleh family is still coming to terms with the killing of the star reporter.

"We're mourning, we're still in grief. It's a huge shock," said Lina, with a badge of Shireen pinned to her chest.

"But we are not discouraged -- we will continue our fight for justice and accountability for Shireen."



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.