Saudi Arabia Provides Assistance to the Displaced Affected by Floods in Yemen

Yemeni authorities issued an urgent appeal to relief organizations to intervene and provide shelter and food to the families affected by storms and torrential rains. Photo: Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) partners
Yemeni authorities issued an urgent appeal to relief organizations to intervene and provide shelter and food to the families affected by storms and torrential rains. Photo: Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) partners
TT

Saudi Arabia Provides Assistance to the Displaced Affected by Floods in Yemen

Yemeni authorities issued an urgent appeal to relief organizations to intervene and provide shelter and food to the families affected by storms and torrential rains. Photo: Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) partners
Yemeni authorities issued an urgent appeal to relief organizations to intervene and provide shelter and food to the families affected by storms and torrential rains. Photo: Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) partners

The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center provided quick assistance to more than 14,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Yemen’s Marib, due to floods resulting from torrential monsoon rains that hit the governorate in the past days.

Yemeni authorities issued an urgent appeal to relief organizations to intervene and provide shelter and food to the families affected by storms and torrential rains that affected the governorate, which is home to more than 60% of IDPs.

KSrelief was the first to implement an urgent intervention by providing shelter to more than 200 families, including about 14,000 individuals.

Saif Muthanna, head of the Marib branch of the Executive Unit for Internally Displaced Persons, announced that KSrelief urgently intervened in Marib by providing 1,500 food baskets, in addition to 200 tents and 200 shelter bags.

However, he stressed that this intervention is not sufficient given the size of the catastrophe.

Until Thursday morning, the Executive Unit for IDP Camps Management monitored 449 displaced families who were completely and partially affected by the floods, including 18 displaced families in Al Jufaina camp.

Member of the Presidential Leadership Council, Major General Sultan Al-Arada directed the Relief Sub-Committee in Marib and the Executive Unit for IDP Camps Management to implement quick interventions to confront the dangers of the floods that swept a number of camps and to provide relief to those affected.

Residents in Marib told Asharq Al-Awsat that the floods came largely from the western and northwestern mountain chains through al-Khashab and al-Jufina area, towards Al-Wadi district, sweeping through the camps of the displaced.

The flood defenses that were erected in the area of Al-Jufaina collapsed, the residents said.

The area holds a large camp, which is home to more than 100,000 displaced people.

Meanwhile, the director of the national program to deal with mines, Brigadier General Amin Al-Aqili, warned residents against passing on dirt roads after the floods swept away mines planted by the Houthi militias in large areas in the neighboring Al-Jawf Governorate.

In a report issued last week, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that people in several governorates, mainly the displaced, were affected by heavy rains and floods in June, losing their shelters, food supplies and household items.

Initial reports received from humanitarian partners and the local authorities during the month indicated that an estimated 6,800 households (approximately 41,000 people) were affected by floods in Ad Dali, Al Hodeidah, Hadramawt, Hajjah and Taiz governorates.

The Office said initial rapid assessments were conducted in some of the affected locations which were accessible and as resources allowed.

In early June, nearly 400 households in Ouda and Al Oshaira displacement sites in Al Makha district of Taiz and another two displacement sites in Al-Mukalla district of Hadramout were affected by heavy rains.

According to national NGOs that conducted initial assessments in flood-affected districts, more than 2,800 households (approximately 16,800 people) in At Taiziyah, Mawiyah, Dimnat Khdair, Maqbanah and Sami districts were affected by floods.

Also, initial assessment conducted by Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) partners said more than 2,900 displaced households across 22 sites in Abs, Aslam, Khayran Al Muharraq and Bani Qays districts of Hajjah and 238 households in 13 displacement sites in Az Zuhrah district of Hodeidah Governorate were affected.

In Ad Dali Governorate, humanitarian partners reported some 470 households in 11 sites in Ad Dali City and Qatabah District of Ad Dali Governorate were affected by floods in late June, the report noted.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.