Political Forces Warn of Nasrallah’s Monopoly over Lebanon’s Decision of War and Peace

London-based Energean’s drill ship begins drilling at the Karish natural gas field offshore Israel in the east Mediterranean May 9, 2022. Picture taken May 9, 2022. (Reuters)
London-based Energean’s drill ship begins drilling at the Karish natural gas field offshore Israel in the east Mediterranean May 9, 2022. Picture taken May 9, 2022. (Reuters)
TT

Political Forces Warn of Nasrallah’s Monopoly over Lebanon’s Decision of War and Peace

London-based Energean’s drill ship begins drilling at the Karish natural gas field offshore Israel in the east Mediterranean May 9, 2022. Picture taken May 9, 2022. (Reuters)
London-based Energean’s drill ship begins drilling at the Karish natural gas field offshore Israel in the east Mediterranean May 9, 2022. Picture taken May 9, 2022. (Reuters)

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasralla’s recent remarks over the marine demarcation dispute between Lebanon and Israel have raised alarm in Beirut that he would act alone should disagreements remain unresolved.

Nasrallah had set a September deadline for an agreement to be reached over the marine border, warning that he would act should the dispute linger.

Political forces condemned his remarks, saying the “Nasrallah is again monopolizing the state’s decision of war and peace.”

Earlier this month, the Israeli military said it shot down three unmanned aircraft launched by Hezbollah heading toward an area where an Israeli gas platform was recently installed in the Mediterranean Sea. Hezbollah confirmed it had launched three unarmed drones toward the disputed maritime area.

The launch of the drones appeared to be an attempt by Hezbollah to influence US-brokered negotiations between Israel and Lebanon over their maritime border, an area that is rich in natural gas.

Lebanon claims the Karish gas field is disputed territory, while Israel says it lies within its internationally recognized economic waters. The United States has been mediating indirect negotiations since October 2020.

US energy envoy Amos Hochstein is expected in Beirut by the end of the month as part of efforts to resolve the border dispute.

Strong Lebanon bloc MP Elias Bou Saab said on Tuesday: “Lebanon is carrying out the border negotiations from a position of strength.”

He added that the negotiations are positive and a solution could be reached, vowing that Beirut will not abandon its rights or partner with Israel, an enemy of Lebanon.

On Monday, Nasrallah warned that if Israel were to begin extracting gas from the Karish field in September, before Lebanon claims its rights, “then we are headed towards a problem.”

“We have set our goal and we will march firmly towards it,” he said in televised remarks.

“The Lebanese state is unable to take the right decision that would protect Lebanon and its wealth and so, the resistance [Hezbollah] will have to take that decision,” he added.

Observers interpreted Nasrallah’s remarks as consolidation of his armed party’s hegemony over the state and all aspects of life.

Vocal Hezbollah critic MP Ashraf Rifi warned that such rhetoric will lead to Lebanon’s “demise”.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Lebanon is a diverse country and no one single party can use regionally-backed weapons to eliminate the state and impose its will over others.

“Nasrallah’s agenda is based on weakening the state ahead of its elimination and leading the country towards complete collapse, so that in the end he would claim that he is the state,” he added.

“He must understand, however, that Lebanon has never been and will never be a part of Iran,” Hezbollah’s main backer, continued the former minister.

The forces of opposition and change will organize their ranks at parliament and government to confront this agenda, stressed Rifi.

Former MP Fares Soaid interpreted Nasrallah’s remarks as alarming sectarian rhetoric.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Nasrallah attempted to claim that “his [Shiite] sect is unique from others in Lebanon because of its struggle for Lebanon.”

“It is as if he is saying that he is the ultimate ruler and that he has the right to accuse other sects of treason,” he added.

He noted that Nasrallah had in the past accused Sunnis of being terrorists, and now, he is accusing Christians of being Israeli agents, citing the arrest of a cleric who was detained after returning from the Palestinian Territories.

“Keeping up such rhetoric will lead Lebanon to a boiling point. Past experience has shown that no one party can impose its views on all other Lebanese,” Soaid stressed.

Caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib had expected that a final agreement between Lebanon and Israel could be reached by September, but Nasrallah’s remarks have cast doubt over the prospect.

Former Lebanese Forces MP Antoine Zahra said Nasrallah is “aware that his party will find itself in crisis after the Russian war on Ukraine and as the balance in the region returns to the Arab countries' favor.”

“He is fearful that Iran would stop support to its militias in the region,” he added.

President Michel Aoun, a Hezbollah ally, had notably not issued a statement to comment on Nasrallah’s remarks.

Zahra said it was no surprise.

He noted how Nasrallah had initially said that the state was in charge of the border negotiations. He then followed that up by launching the drones towards Karish, in a move that was aimed at restoring Hezbollah’s role in the negotiations.

He remarked that Hezbollah chose to launch the drones just as progress was reportedly achieved in the negotiations.

“Nasrallah wanted to declare that he had the final say over the issue,” explained Zahra, a move that ultimately undermines the president, who has jurisdiction in such negotiations and in approving treaties and spending.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.