Paris Seeks to Consolidate Cooperation with Riyadh in Various Fields

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman receiving French President Emmanuel Macron in Jeddah last December. (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman receiving French President Emmanuel Macron in Jeddah last December. (SPA)
TT

Paris Seeks to Consolidate Cooperation with Riyadh in Various Fields

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman receiving French President Emmanuel Macron in Jeddah last December. (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman receiving French President Emmanuel Macron in Jeddah last December. (SPA)

The Elysee Palace is expected to host an important meeting between Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday.

The Crown Prince’s visit to Paris - the second leg of his European tour - comes amid major international developments, mainly the Russian war on Ukraine and its consequences in the energy sector, the food crisis, and the tension between Moscow and Western capitals over harsh sanctions imposed on Russia.

The two sides are expected to discuss many issues, including the Yemeni war and the fate of the truce, the Iranian nuclear talks and the relationship with Tehran, stability and security in the Gulf region, the fight against terrorism, the Saudi-French efforts to get Lebanon out of its multiple crises and the upcoming Lebanese presidential elections, in addition to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

Former French Ambassador to Riyadh Bertrand Besancenot told Asharq Al-Awsat that Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s visit was “an additional indication of the growing political and economic relations between the two countries.”

He stressed that Saudi Arabia and France, both members of the G20, would unite their efforts at the upcoming summit, and work together within the framework of implementing the Saudi Vision 2030.

The visit of the Crown Prince is an opportunity to expand initiatives:

The former French ambassador said that the bilateral meeting “represents an opportunity to enhance consultation and expand joint initiatives.”

“There is no doubt that it will lead to strengthening the strategic partnership that has brought our two countries together for years,” he underlined.

Besancenot believed that Saudi Arabia, which has “recovered its financial capabilities, wants to cooperate with interested parties in implementing the major projects that it has launched.”
He continued: “France, which has an old friendship with Saudi Arabia, is able to keep pace with Saudi projects and is ready to offer its knowledge and expertise in the sectors of energy, transport, communication, environment, health, security, rehabilitation and culture.”

Paris is looking for a role in the Middle East:

The expected meeting is the culmination of a series of summits hosted by the Elysee Palace over the past ten days, which included UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and the President of the Palestinian Authority, Mahmoud Abbas.

Macron, who returns on Thursday from his African tour, has contacted Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi to urge him to accept the offer made to Tehran regarding the nuclear negotiations.

French sources said that Macron wants to put his country on the diplomatic map of the Middle East. The sources added that the French president was seeking to reproduce the experience of the Baghdad conference held in August last year, which brought together all parties in the region, including the foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Iran.

According to the French vision, a conference or summit of this kind would reduce escalation and provide a platform for dialogue between all parties.

France seeks to strengthen cultural cooperation with Saudi Arabia:

Saudi Arabia attaches great importance to the cultural sector in the context of the existing dynamic cooperation with the French side. In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, Jack Lang, the former Minister of Culture and current head of the Arab World Institute, pointed to a “strong desire” on both sides to push cultural cooperation forward.

On the occasion of Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s visit, Lang sent a letter to Macron, urging him to deepen cooperation with Riyadh in the cultural, scientific, cinematic and artistic fields, praising the “cultural revolution taking place in Saudi Arabia.”

On a different note, Paris does not hide its interest in finding alternative and sufficient sources of oil and gas as prices are rising in Europe in an unprecedented way. However, Riyadh frankly expressed its position on the Western demand to raise its oil production, stressing its commitment to the decisions of the OPEC+ alliance, which also includes Russia.



Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, and Türkiye strongly condemned on Tuesday Israel's decision to designate lands in the occupied West Bank as so-called "state land".

They also slammed it for approving procedures for the registration and settlement of land ownership across extensive areas of the occupied West Bank for the first time since 1967.

They condemned the moves as “a grave escalation aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation, entrenching Israeli control, and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over the Occupied Palestinian Territory and undermining the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people.”

These measures are “a flagrant violation of international law and international humanitarian law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention, as well as a violation of relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, foremost among them Resolution 2334,” the FMs said in a statement.

“The decision also contradicts the advisory opinion issued by the International Court of Justice concerning the legal consequences arising from Israeli policies and practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, which underscored the illegality of measures intended to alter the legal, historical, and demographic status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, the obligation to end the occupation, and the prohibition of the acquisition of territory by force,” they added.

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” they warned.

The foreign ministers reiterated their “categorical rejection of all unilateral measures aimed at altering the legal, demographic, and historical status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

They stressed that such policies are “a dangerous escalation that will further heighten tensions and instability in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and the region as a whole.”

They called on the international community “to assume its responsibilities and take clear and decisive steps to halt these violations, ensure respect for international law, and safeguard the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, foremost among them their right to self-determination, ending the occupation, and establishing their independent and sovereign State based on 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.”


Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah carried out on Monday a field inspection tour to assess operational and service readiness for the holy fasting month of Ramadan at the Grand Mosque, Prophet’s Mosque, and several other service sites in the holy city of Makkah.

Accompanied by the authority’s CEO Eng. Ghazi Al-Shahrani, the tour included a review of field operations, crowd management plans, and the flow of Umrah performers and worshippers.

It addressed coordination and integration mechanisms among relevant entities, as part of ongoing efforts by the ministry, the authority, and partner organizations serving pilgrims.

Al-Rabiah stressed that these efforts are carried out in line with the directives of the Kingdom's leadership and reflect the country's commitment to caring for the Two Holy Mosques and their visitors.

The level of readiness and the services provided during Ramadan are part of ongoing development efforts and they support the objectives of the Pilgrim Experience Program, part of Saudi Vision 2030, which aims to boost the quality of services and the overall experience of pilgrims, he added.


SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
TT

SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)

The Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen (SDRPY) and European Union announced on Monday the alignment of their efforts to improve livelihoods in Yemen.

These efforts focus on investment in economic recovery programs and reforms, job creation, strengthening state institutions, and boosting community resilience, including in the areas of food security, agriculture, electricity, water, and environmental sanitation.

Their strategic partnership is in line with efforts to strengthen international cooperation to support Yemen.

Supporting improved access to water in the Marib governorate is the first outcome of the strategic partnership.

The two parties signed in Riyadh an agreement with the SILA Foundation to implement a SAR9-million project, “Enhancing Water Security in Marib Governorate,” covering nine areas across the districts of Marib Al-Wadi, Marib City, and Harib. Over 350,000 people will benefit from the project.

The agreement reflects the parties’ commitment to joint action and continuous coordination to improve living conditions for all Yemenis.

The SDRPY and EU agreed to continue coordination and explore additional opportunities for cooperation in the water sector, as well as joint development projects and initiatives in other sectors.