Erdogan’s Plan to Manage Türkiye's Economic Crisis Gets Summer Reprieve

A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo
A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo
TT

Erdogan’s Plan to Manage Türkiye's Economic Crisis Gets Summer Reprieve

A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo
A man walks past a currency exchange office in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 10, 2022. REUTERS/Dilara Senkaya/File Photo

A windfall of foreign funds arriving in Türkiye and sustained interest in a state-backed deposit scheme have brought some relief for President Tayyip Erdogan's economic plan less than a year before tight elections.

Erdogan's program stressing monetary stimulus, exports and economic growth sent inflation soaring when the central bank slashed interest rates by 500 basis points late last year, setting off a historic currency crash in December.

Even as annual inflation reached 80% last month, straining households and sapping earnings, the government has stuck to its unorthodox plan which it expects will eventually help flip the country's chronic current account deficits to surpluses. Strong exports and tourism have helped to finance a current account deficit which narrowed in June, despite heavy energy costs, according to the latest data.

Relief began in July when foreign visitors jumped by more than 50%, exceeding pre-pandemic levels thanks partly to Russians with nowhere else to go given sanctions over the war, Reuters reported.

The central bank's foreign reserves - badly depleted from nine months of supporting the lira - have nearly tripled since early July to $15.7 billion on a net basis. Bankers say inflows of some $5 billion from Russia provided a boost, though authorities have not commented and do not publish such data.

Adding to relief for Erdogan, a lira-protection scheme unveiled during the December crisis cleared a big hurdle in July and August when $30 billion in deposits were rolled over without issue, according to data calculated by bankers.

Only a further $3 billion in deposits need to be rolled over next month, and little more until next year, locking many companies in for another six months to the scheme known as KKM.

The scheme seeks to curb demand for foreign currency by compensating depositors for lira losses against foreign currencies.

Given the lira has shed 27% to the dollar this year, KKM costs are rising for the Treasury and the central bank, which pay depositors the difference.

But most companies and individuals have stuck with KKM, avoiding another rush to foreign currencies and a potential repeat lira crash with less than a year before Erdogan faces tight elections.

"The cost is high but if this amount was being kept in forex then we would face bigger problems," a source with knowledge of the matter said.

"If there was any other alternative it would have been used but it looks like this will continue, at least until the beginning of next year," the source said of the scheme, requesting anonymity given sensitivities of the government plan.

Depositors are lured to KKM by cheaper credit and tax incentives, bankers, companies and officials told Reuters. In total, protected deposits are worth 1.2 trillion lira ($66.23 billion), data shows.

The central bank does not disclose its KKM-related costs.

But since it was introduced on Dec. 20 - the day the lira hit an all-time low of 18.4 to the dollar - KKM has cost the Treasury 60 billion lira, 20 billion lira more than this year's budget allocation for the scheme.

The scheme, along with big forex interventions by the central bank, helped rescue the lira at the time.

But the currency has since tumbled back to near its record low, hitting 18.15 to the dollar after the central bank shocked markets last week by cutting its benchmark interest rate by another 100 basis points.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.