Newly-Appointed US Ambassador Supports Civilian-led Democratic Transition in Sudan

The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)
The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)
TT

Newly-Appointed US Ambassador Supports Civilian-led Democratic Transition in Sudan

The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)
The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)

The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, began his work with meetings that sparked controversy between Sudanese parties.

The opposition saw a sign of support in Godfrey's meetings with the families of the victims, the resistance committee, and the main opposition alliance Freedom and Change.

Meanwhile, military supporters considered that the mere presentation of the ambassador's credentials to General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan constitutes recognition of the de facto government.

The spokesman for the "Freedom and Change-Central Council", Wajdi Saleh, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the political committee of the coalition met with the Ambassador at his invitation after presenting his credentials.

Godfrey informed the coalition that the US is "steadfast" in its support for democratic transformation, with a civilian-led leadership.

Saleh explained that the delegation considered the invitation an important step to develop relations between the two countries.

The delegation reiterated the vision of the Coalition, asserting that the current crisis was created by the coup, asserting that the only solution is establishing a full civilian-led authority that leads the democratic transition, in a way that guarantees the stability and peace of Sudan.

The US embassy did not mention Godfrey’s meeting with the Forces of Freedom and Change. However, the coalition published a press statement about it. The spokesman also confirmed the meeting to Asharq Al-Awsat.

Ambassador Godfrey presented his credentials last Thursday to the chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council; a move seen by the supporters of Burhan as a US of the de facto government.

They argued that former western and US diplomats avoided presenting their credentials to former President Omar al-Bashir.

Before his arrival in Khartoum, Godfrey outlined his policies towards Khartoum in a Facebook post.

He met with prominent members of the Sudanese diaspora and US-based activists to discuss the current situation in Sudan.

“There was agreement on the need to continue advocating for a new government under civilian leadership and to support the Sudanese people in their efforts to carry forward their democratic transition.”

Godfrey reiterated his country's position when he met Foreign Minister-designate Ali al-Sadiq, last week, and stressed that it aims to deepen relations between the United States and the Sudanese people, form a civilian-led government, and move forward with Sudan's transition to democracy.

The Ambassador did not mention the head of the Sovereignty Council by name in several Embassy announcement.

He said in a post at the Embassy’s Facebook page: “I presented my diplomatic credentials. I look forward to strengthening the U.S. relationship with the Sudanese people, supporting their desire to advance their country’s democratic transition under civilian leadership.”

The US ambassador began his official activities in Sudan with a meeting with the families of the martyrs.

“I was honored to meet with the mothers of four martyrs who tragically lost their lives while demonstrating in support of freedom and democracy in Sudan,” he said after the meeting.

“Their message – that the lives of their children cannot have been lost in vain and that Sudan must resume a democratic transition under civilian leadership – was deeply moving.”

Godfrey then met with the Resistance Committee members from around Sudan.

He described them as the “courageous organizers of this grassroots, youth-led movement,” noting that they discussed the challenges they face and their commitment to restoring a path to democracy.

“The United States continues to support their insistence on a new civilian-led government and their pursuit of freedom, peace, and justice,” asserted the Ambassador.

Godfrey's arrival in the country triggered the stagnation that accompanied the US-Saudi initiative for military-civilian dialogue. He met the Saudi ambassador, Ali bin Hassan Jaafar, with the participation of the British ambassador.



Rafah Crossing Traffic Lags Two Weeks after Reopening

Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)
Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)
TT

Rafah Crossing Traffic Lags Two Weeks after Reopening

Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)
Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)

Despite nearly two weeks since the reopening of the Rafah crossing in both directions, the number of people and humanitarian aid entering the Gaza Strip falls short of what was agreed under the “Gaza ceasefire agreement,” according to an official from the Egyptian Red Crescent in North Sinai.

The daily movement of individuals to and from Gaza does not exceed 50 people, Khaled Zayed, head of the Egyptian Red Crescent in North Sinai, told Asharq Al-Awsat. He said this figure represents only one-third of what was agreed upon in the ceasefire deal.

He added that truck traffic stands at about 100 per day, despite Gaza’s population requiring the entry of around 600 trucks daily.

On Feb. 2, Israel reopened the Rafah crossing on the Palestinian side for individual travel, allowing Palestinians to leave and return to the enclave. Indicators show that most of those departing Gaza are patients and wounded individuals, who are being received at Egyptian hospitals.

This comes as Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty stressed the need to “ensure the unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid and not obstruct movement through the Rafah crossing.”

In his remarks during a ministerial Security Council session on developments in the Middle East on Wednesday, he underscored the importance of “halting all measures aimed at displacing residents or altering the demographic character of the occupied Palestinian territories.”

Israel took control of the Rafah border crossing in May 2024, about nine months after the outbreak of the war in Gaza. The reopening of the crossing was part of the first phase of the ceasefire agreement that entered into force last October, though the deal remains fragile.

The Egyptian Red Crescent announced the departure of the 14th group of wounded, sick, and injured Palestinians arriving and leaving through the crossing.

In a statement on Thursday, it said humanitarian efforts to receive and see off Palestinians include a comprehensive package of relief services, psychological support for children, distribution of suhoor and iftar meals, and heavy clothing, in addition to providing “return bags” for those heading back to Gaza.

At the same time, the Red Crescent dispatched the 142nd “Zad Al-Ezza” convoy, which includes 197,000 food parcels and more than 235 tons of flour as part of the “Iftar for One Million Fasters” campaign in Gaza.

The convoy also carries more than 390 tons of medicines, relief, and personal care supplies, as well as about 760 tons of fuel, according to the organization’s statement.

Zayed said the daily number of individuals crossing through Rafah over the past two weeks does not compare with what was stipulated in the ceasefire agreement.

With the reopening of the Rafah crossing on the Palestinian side, Israel’s Arabic-language public broadcaster Makan reported that 150 people were expected to leave Gaza, including 50 patients, while 50 people would be allowed to enter the enclave.

Despite what he described as Israeli obstacles, Zayed said allowing the movement of individuals and the wounded represents “an unsatisfactory breakthrough in the humanitarian situation in Gaza,” stressing the need to fulfill the ceasefire’s obligations and advance early recovery efforts inside the territory.

The total number of Palestinians who have left through the Rafah crossing since it reopened on both sides does not exceed 1,000, according to Salah Abdel Ati, head of the International Commission to Support Palestinian Rights.

He said around 20,000 wounded and sick Palestinians require urgent evacuation, and that Israeli restrictions are hindering access to medical care, adding that the humanitarian situation requires continued pressure by mediators on Israel.

Abdelatty told Asharq Al-Awsat he was counting on the outcome of the first meeting of the Board of Peace to adopt easing measures, including lifting Israeli restrictions and establishing guarantees for the ceasefire in the Palestinian territories, as well as securing the funding needed for Gaza’s early recovery, in line with US President Donald Trump’s peace plan for the enclave.

According to a statement by the Egyptian Red Crescent, Egypt continues relief efforts at all logistical hubs to facilitate the entry of humanitarian aid, which has exceeded 800,000 tons, with the participation of more than 65,000 volunteers from the Egyptian Red Crescent.


US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.