Yemeni Govt Calls for Deterrence against Houthi Militarization of Red Sea

Yemen's Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Yemen's Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Yemeni Govt Calls for Deterrence against Houthi Militarization of Red Sea

Yemen's Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Yemen's Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The Yemeni government demanded international deterrence against the Houthi group's threats to international shipping.

In a statement carried by Saba news agency, Yemen's Minister of Information Moammar al-Eryani said that the dangerous announcement made by the Houthis that the Red Sea, Bab el-Mandab, and the Arabian Sea are a military operations zone reveals the group's reality as a terrorist militia that does not care about international laws.

Eryani considered the announcement an affirmation of the warnings issued earlier that the Iran-affiliated militias continue to control parts of the Yemeni coast and the security and safety of international navigation in the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandab.

The statement called on the international community, the UN, and the Security Council permanent members to take a clear stance against this dangerous threat and carry out their legal responsibilities in confronting the terrorist activities of the Iranian regime and its Houthi tools.

Last Sunday, the so-called "Supreme Political Council" threatened oil companies in the Arab coalition countries.

For his part, Foreign Minister Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak affirmed Wednesday the legitimate government's keenness on renewing the nationwide truce, pointing out that it has implemented all its commitments for a comprehensive peace.

During a press conference in Rabat, bin Mubarak accused the Houthis of recanting their vow to implement the terms of the truce, including opening roads in Taiz, before refusing to extend the ceasefire again.

The Minister noted a strategic regional and global interest to end the Houthi coup, noting that the Houthi group imposed the war to implement Tehran's expansionist agenda in the region.

The Yemeni government "will not allow Iran to seize Yemen's oil resources," said the Minister.

Bin Mubarak stated that Yemeni army casualties during the truce amounted to 1,400 soldiers and civilians who fell due to Houthi violations, despite the government's keenness to maintain calm and provide opportunities for peace.

He added that Houthis plundered more than YR45 billion before the armistice and have not paid a single riyal in public employee salaries since the signing of the Stockholm Agreement.

Bin Mubarak recalled the militias' evasion of implementing the Stockholm Agreement on Hodeidah in exchange for halting military operations, recalling that they deployed naval mines in the Red Sea, a threat to maritime navigation.

On Wednesday, the Minister confirmed that his government implemented all its commitments toward the truce, and the Houthis refused to open Taiz roads.

During a telephone conversation with Russia's Special Presidential Envoy for the Middle East and Africa Mikhail Bogdanov, bin Mubarak discussed the prospects for a Yemeni settlement.

Saba news agency reported that the two officials discussed the bilateral relationship, marking the 94th anniversary of its founding next November.

Bin Mubarak reiterated the Houthis' intention to obstruct all efforts to move to the comprehensive political process per the three references, adding that the group insists on resorting to war and threatens national and regional oil companies.

He called on the Security Council to take a firm stance regarding the negative attitudes of the Houthi militia.

Bogdanov stressed Russia's support for the security and stability of Yemen and the region.

Meanwhile, international actors continue to exert efforts to extend the previous truce, despite UN Special Envoy Hans Grundberg's announcement last Sunday evening that the peace ended without an agreement.

On Tuesday, Yemeni and Western diplomatic sources revealed that the UN continued to try to extend the humanitarian truce for an additional period of up to six months.

According to the sources, the UN efforts are now directed toward Iran and the Presidential Leadership Council.

The UN envoy is pressuring the Council to approve the salaries of military and security employees in the Houthi-controlled areas and disburse them within the following year.

The truce entered into force last April for two months and stipulated ending the offensive military operations inside Yemen and across its borders, opening roads in Taiz and other governorates to improve the freedom of movement of civilians, and facilitating the entry of 18 ships carrying fuel to Hodeidah.

It also required allowing flights to and from Sanaa International Airport and paying the salaries of government employees.

The government accuses the Houthi militia of renouncing its obligations.

Yemeni political activist Mohammad Abdul-Mughni believes the failure of UN efforts to extend the ceasefire and achieve peace was expected due to the Houthi intransigence.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Abdul-Mughni said the Houthi militias miscalculate their power and control, and they want to assure the international community and the Arab region that they are a force that cannot be ignored.

He believes the group determined several conditions that could increase risks and threats, cautioning that if these conditions were met, they would be one of the reasons for prolonging the war.

Surprisingly, the UN and the international community agreed to the Houthi militia's conditions to pay the salaries of state employees in their areas, as these salaries will probably be used in war efforts.

He concluded that the failure of the international community to persuade the militias would prolong the war in the areas identified by the militias for strategic gains.

Furthermore, the American Center for Justice (ACJ) regrets the international community's failure to extend the humanitarian truce in Yemen, its lax handling of the parties' terms to the conflict, and the ambiguity surrounding its discussions on the extension in the last days of the expired truce.

The Washington-based human rights organization believes the international community did not make sufficient efforts to extend the truce, nor did it disclose the details of the discussions between Grundberg and Houthi leaders n Sanaa or what obstacles and conditions complicated his mission, which did not allow an agreement to be reached.

Throughout the period of the ended truce, which was announced for humanitarian purposes and to alleviate the suffering of Yemeni civilians, the Houthi group evaded compliance with necessary conditions for the humanitarian situation.

The ACJ calls on the international community to assume its responsibilities to protect civilians from the effects of the end of the truce, the Houthi group's refusal to extend it, and what may result from such as the return of clashes, most of which occur in residential areas, or vital areas.

It also stressed the need for the international community, its bodies, and states to play a serious, effective, and resolute role in restoring the truce on the one hand and in continuing activities and efforts to end the war in Yemen in a just manner on the other hand.

It hoped this would lead to the cessation of all violations resulting from it and building a comprehensive and complete peace process.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.