Putin Says Draft Vital to Hold Ukraine Front Line but Will End Soon

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a news conference following the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) leaders' summit in Astana, Kazakhstan October 14, 2022. (Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a news conference following the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) leaders' summit in Astana, Kazakhstan October 14, 2022. (Reuters)
TT

Putin Says Draft Vital to Hold Ukraine Front Line but Will End Soon

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a news conference following the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) leaders' summit in Astana, Kazakhstan October 14, 2022. (Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a news conference following the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) leaders' summit in Astana, Kazakhstan October 14, 2022. (Reuters)

President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that Russia's call-up of reserve forces to fight in Ukraine, criticized as chaotic by some Kremlin allies, had been vital to hold the front line but would be wound up in the next couple of weeks.

Russia has conducted a broad mobilization of Russians to reinforce its long front after Ukraine won back territory in recent weeks. Moscow has also threatened to use nuclear weapons to defend territory including four regions of Ukraine it annexed late last month but does not fully control.

"The line of contact is 1,100 km (680 miles), so it is practically impossible to hold it with forces formed only of contract soldiers, especially since they take part in offensive activities," Putin told a news conference at the end of a summit in Kazakhstan, adding that those mobilized were being properly trained.

Putin said there were no plans for new massive strikes on Ukraine "for now" after what Ukraine said was the firing of 100 Russian cruise missiles this week, mainly at its electricity and heat infrastructure.

It was Russia's biggest air assault yet in a nearly eight-month conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people.

"We do not set ourselves the task of destroying Ukraine. No, of course not," Putin said, describing the war he started on Feb. 24 as unpleasant but saying he had no regrets.

Putin's comments will add to speculation that Russia's supply of cruise missiles is dwindling.

Over the next two weeks, he said, Russia would wind up the mobilization, which has been criticized by some of the Kremlin's hardline nationalist allies and led thousands of Russians to flee to neighboring countries to avoid service.

Most of the 300,000 people due to be called up had been, Putin added.

He also repeated the Kremlin position that Russia was willing to hold talks to end what it calls a special military operation, although he said talks would require international mediation if Ukraine was willing to take part.

Taken together, Putin's comments appeared to suggest a slight softening of his tone as the war nears the end of its eighth month, after weeks of Ukrainian advances and significant Russian defeats.

Belarus alert

Ukraine launched a counteroffensive in late August against Russian forces occupying the country since the start of their invasion in February, pushing them out of a large part of the northeast and putting them under heavy pressure in the south.

Moscow's close ally Belarus ordered troops to deploy with Russian forces near Ukraine this week, prompting concern it may send its forces across the border for the first time.

On Friday President Alexander Lukashenko placed Belarus in what he called a state of heightened terrorism alert due to tension on its borders. Ukraine has denied attacking Belarus.

Kyiv's main focus now is Kherson - one of four partially occupied Ukrainian provinces that Russia claims to have annexed in recent weeks, and arguably the most strategically important.

Russia's TASS news agency said evacuees from the Kherson region were expected to begin arriving in Russia on Friday, a day after a Russian-installed official suggested people could flee to Russia, especially those around Kherson city.

While some people in Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine have fled to Russia as Ukrainian forces advance, others have reported being forced towards Russia and others still have fled westward to Ukrainian-controlled parts of their country.

Strategic target

A flight of civilians from Kherson would be a blow to Russia's claim last month to have annexed around 15% of Ukraine's territory and incorporated an area the size of Portugal into Russia. Three quarters of UN members condemned the move as illegal on Wednesday.

Kherson city, the only major conurbation Russia has captured intact since invading in February, controls the only land route to the Crimea peninsula seized by Russia in 2014 and the mouth of the Dnipro river that bisects Ukraine.

Since the start of October, Ukrainian forces have burst through Russia's front lines in the region in their biggest advance in the south since the war began, aiming to cut Russian troops off from supply lines and escape routes across the river.

Ukraine said earlier on Friday that its armed forces had retaken 600 settlements in the past month, including 75 in the Kherson region and 43 in the eastern Donetsk region.

Reuters was not immediately able to confirm the battlefield reports.

Kherson lies next to the Zaporizhzhia region, also claimed by Russia, where Europe's biggest nuclear power plant is based.

A Russian-installed official said the plant was now working according to Russian standards. It was not clear if Ukrainian workers, who had continued operating the plant under the eye of Russian troops, were still there.

The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency tweeted separately that Russia and Ukraine were moving closer to agreeing a protection zone for the plant, where he said the situation was "untenable".

Moscow says the conflict, which has left cities, towns and villages in ruins, aims to demilitarize a country whose moves towards the West threaten Russia's own security. Kyiv and its Western allies say it is an unprovoked war of conquest.

A British intelligence update said forces led by the private Russian military company Wagner Group had captured two villages south of the fiercely-contested eastern town of Bakhmut over the past three days, their only such seizures in months.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy reported ongoing "brutal" fighting there in a video address late on Thursday.



Iranian Mourning Ceremonies Prompt New Crackdowns in Echo of 1979 Revolution

Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranian Mourning Ceremonies Prompt New Crackdowns in Echo of 1979 Revolution

Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians have returned to the streets this week to mourn those killed by security forces during last month's anti-government demonstrations, sparking some new crackdowns in an echo of the 1979 revolution that brought down the US-backed Shah.

The anti-Shah revolutionaries turned Shiite Muslim memorial processions 40 days after each death into new protests, which prompted renewed violence from the authorities and fresh "martyrs" for the cause.

The clerical establishment's opponents, deploying the same tactics after five decades, have yet to match the momentum of those times, but Iran's clerical rulers, threatened with military attack by US President Donald Trump over their nuclear and security policies, have demonstrated their concern.

They deployed security forces to some cemeteries and invited citizens to attend state-organized 40-day "Chehelom" ceremonies on Tuesday after apologizing to "all those affected" by violence they blamed on people described as "terrorists".

"They tried to prevent history repeating itself by holding these ceremonies in mosques across ‌the country. To ‌prevent any gatherings of angry families in cemeteries, but they failed," said one rights activist ‌in ⁠Iran who declined ⁠to be named for fear of retribution.

SECURITY FORCES CLASH WITH MOURNERS

Videos circulating on social media showed families holding their own memorials across Iran on Tuesday, 40 days after security forces began two days of widespread shooting that human rights groups say killed thousands of protesters.

Some of Tuesday's memorials turned into wider anti-government protests and some were met with deadly force.

In the Kurdish town of Abdanan in Ilam province, witnesses and activists said security forces opened fire on hundreds of mourners gathered at a cemetery.

Videos showed people scattering as gunfire rang out amid chants of "Death to the dictator", a reference to Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

Reuters journalists verified that ⁠the videos were filmed at the cemetery. They were unable to verify the date but ‌found no versions posted before Tuesday: eyewitnesses and activists said that was when ‌people gathered at the cemetery were fired upon.

Hengaw, a Kurdish Iranian rights group, said at least three people were injured and nine ‌arrested in Abdanan. Similar clashes were reported in Mashhad and Hamedan. Sources in Iran said internet access was heavily restricted ‌in those cities.

WEDNESDAY IS 40 DAYS SINCE HEIGHT OF JANUARY PROTESTS

More mourning ceremonies were expected to be taking place on Wednesday, 40 days since the deadliest two days of the January unrest, although communications restrictions meant that it was not immediately possible to tell how many or their outcome.

January's unrest grew from modest economic protests in December among traders in Tehran's Grand Bazaar into the gravest threat to ‌Iran's theocracy in nearly five decades, with protesters calling for ruling clerics to step down.

Authorities cut internet access, blaming "armed terrorists" linked to Israel and the United States ⁠for the violence, and have arrested ⁠journalists, lawyers, activists, human rights advocates and students, rights groups say.

Iranian officials have told Reuters the leadership is worried a US strike could erode its grip on power by fueling more protests. Repression, inequality, corruption and the sponsorship of proxies abroad are the main grievances.

"How long can they kill people to stay in power? People are angry, people are frustrated," said government employee Sara, 28, from the central city of Isfahan.

"The Islamic Republic has brought nothing but war, economic misery and death to my country".

Trump has deployed aircraft carriers, fighter jets, guided-missile destroyers and other capabilities to the Middle East for a possible attack if talks to limit Iran's nuclear program and weaken its foreign proxies do not yield results.

Even without a US attack, continued isolation from Western sanctions would likely fuel further public anger.

In 1979, the anti-Shah revolt in provincial towns and villages was amplified by oil workers whose strikes cut most of Iran's revenue, and bazaar merchants who funded the rebel clerics.

This time there have been no reports of either, but people have adopted some of the small-scale tactics, chanting “Allah is great” and “Death to the dictator”, often from rooftops, during nightly demonstrations, according to witnesses and social media posts.


Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said on Wednesday that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".

Diplomatic efforts are underway to avert the possibility of US military intervention in Iran, with Washington conducting a military build-up in the region.

Iran and the US held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on Tuesday in Geneva, after talks last year collapsed following Israel's attack on Iran in June, which started a 12-day war.

Araghchi said on Tuesday that Tehran had agreed with Washington on "guiding principles", but US Vice President JD Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's "red lines".

On Wednesday, Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

In the call, Araghchi "stressed Iran's focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks", according to a statement from the Iranian foreign ministry.

Also on Wednesday, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other".

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

Earlier on Wednesday, Reza Najafi, Iran's permanent representative to the IAEA in Vienna, held a joint meeting with Grossi and the ambassadors of China and Russia "to exchange views" on the upcoming session of the agency's board of governors meetings and "developments related to Iran's nuclear program", Iran's mission in Vienna said on X.

Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.

- Displays of military might -

The Omani-mediated talks were aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of US sanctions that are crippling its economy.

Iran has insisted that the discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, though Washington has previously pushed for Tehran's ballistic missiles program and support for armed groups in the region to be on the table.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene militarily against Iran, first over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month and then more recently over its nuclear program.

On Wednesday, Israeli President Isaac Herzog sent a message to Iranians, saying "I want to send the people of Iran best wishes for the month of Ramadan, and I truly hope and pray that this reign of terror will end and that we will see a different era in the Middle East," according to a statement from his office.

Washington has ordered two aircraft carriers to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln with nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometers (435 miles) from the Iranian coast as of Sunday, satellite images showed.

Iran has also sought to display its own military might, with its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a major global conduit for oil and gas.

On Tuesday, state TV reported that Tehran would close parts of the waterway for safety measures during the drills.

Iran's supreme leader warned on Tuesday that the country had the ability to sink a US warship deployed to the region.


US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."