Sudanese Forces Fire Tear Gas at Rally against Post-coup Deal 

Tires are set aflame by Sudanese protesters during a demonstration against a tentative deal aimed at ending the crisis provoked by last year's military coup, in the Bashdar district in the south of Sudan's capital Khartoum on December 19, 2022. (AFP)
Tires are set aflame by Sudanese protesters during a demonstration against a tentative deal aimed at ending the crisis provoked by last year's military coup, in the Bashdar district in the south of Sudan's capital Khartoum on December 19, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Sudanese Forces Fire Tear Gas at Rally against Post-coup Deal 

Tires are set aflame by Sudanese protesters during a demonstration against a tentative deal aimed at ending the crisis provoked by last year's military coup, in the Bashdar district in the south of Sudan's capital Khartoum on December 19, 2022. (AFP)
Tires are set aflame by Sudanese protesters during a demonstration against a tentative deal aimed at ending the crisis provoked by last year's military coup, in the Bashdar district in the south of Sudan's capital Khartoum on December 19, 2022. (AFP)

Sudanese security forces fired tear gas Monday at protesters in Khartoum who rallied against a tentative deal aimed at ending the crisis provoked by last year's military coup, AFP correspondents said. 

Thousands of pro-democracy activists took to the streets in Sudan's capital to reject the agreement signed by military and civilian leaders on December 5, which critics have dismissed as vague. 

"We will not accept anything other than a civilian government," said protestor Samira Hassan. 

The protesters chanted, "You will not rule us with this deal," according to an AFP correspondent. 

Others called on the military to go "back to the barracks". 

Security forces later fired tear gas to disperse the crowd, the AFP correspondents said. 

Monday's demonstration coincided with the fourth anniversary of the outbreak of months-long mass protests that ousted long-time President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019. 

Bashir's three-decade rule was followed by a short-lived transition to civilian rule, upended in October 2021 when army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan led a coup, deepening Sudan's political and economic turmoil. 

Sudan has been rocked by near-weekly protests since Burhan's coup. 

The deal between military leaders and multiple civilian factions was the first component of a planned two-phase political process, but critics say it falls short on specifics and timelines. 

While opponents at home eyed it with skepticism, the deal drew some international acclaim. 

"I hope that the political process will realise the demands & aspirations of the Sudanese men and women who took to the streets four years ago," UN special representative Volker Perthes tweeted on Monday. 

Sudan's Finance Minister Gibril Ibrahim, a former rebel leader who did not sign the agreement, called it "exclusionary". 

"Today we observe the fourth anniversary of the glorious December revolution which did not achieve its goals," he said Monday on Twitter. 

"The country is in dire need of a national consensus that does not exclude anyone." 

Sudanese authorities declared Monday a public holiday and security forces had sealed off bridges leading to the capital. 

Roads leading to the army headquarters in Khartoum -- the site of a mass anti-Bashir encampment in 2019 -- were also closed, an AFP correspondent said. 

The protesters waved Sudanese flags and carried posters with the images of people killed during anti-coup demonstrations since October 2021. 

At least 122 people have been killed and thousands wounded in the crackdown, according to pro-democracy medics. 



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.