Hezbollah Reportedly Turns Over Suspect in Shooting of UNIFIL Convoy in Lebanon

Lebanese soldiers, Irish and other nationalities U.N. peacekeepers, stand around the coffin draped by the United Nations flag of their comrade Pvt. Seán Rooney who was killed during a confrontation with residents near the southern town of Al-Aqbiya on December 14, during his memorial procession at the Lebanese army airbase, at Beirut airport, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022. (AP)
Lebanese soldiers, Irish and other nationalities U.N. peacekeepers, stand around the coffin draped by the United Nations flag of their comrade Pvt. Seán Rooney who was killed during a confrontation with residents near the southern town of Al-Aqbiya on December 14, during his memorial procession at the Lebanese army airbase, at Beirut airport, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022. (AP)
TT

Hezbollah Reportedly Turns Over Suspect in Shooting of UNIFIL Convoy in Lebanon

Lebanese soldiers, Irish and other nationalities U.N. peacekeepers, stand around the coffin draped by the United Nations flag of their comrade Pvt. Seán Rooney who was killed during a confrontation with residents near the southern town of Al-Aqbiya on December 14, during his memorial procession at the Lebanese army airbase, at Beirut airport, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022. (AP)
Lebanese soldiers, Irish and other nationalities U.N. peacekeepers, stand around the coffin draped by the United Nations flag of their comrade Pvt. Seán Rooney who was killed during a confrontation with residents near the southern town of Al-Aqbiya on December 14, during his memorial procession at the Lebanese army airbase, at Beirut airport, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022. (AP)

Hezbollah reportedly turned over a suspect in the shooting of a United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) convoy that left one peacekeeper dead last week. 

An informed source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the incident “called for raising the level of coordination between the Lebanese army and international forces”. 

Pvt. Seán Rooney, 23, was killed and three others wounded when unidentified attackers opened fire on their convoy as it passed near the southern town of Al-Aqbiya on December 14. The area is a stronghold of the Hezbollah party. 

UNIFIL commander Maj. Gen. Aroldo Lázaro Sáenz said he had demanded a transparent probe into the attack from the moment it happened. 

He called for the arrest of the shooters and bringing them to justice, saying he was obligated to provide answers to the UN in New York over what truly happened. 

The official sources quoted UNIFIL officials as saying that swift measures are need to arrest the perpetrators and prove that the attack was not premeditated. 

Even if the convoy lost its way or changed course, that does not justify murder, they added. 

Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati and army commander Joseph Aoun had paid a visit to the UNIFIL headquarters in al-Naqoura in wake of the attack. They also held a series of contacts that have apparently helped ease the tensions, but will continue to fall short of UN demands if the perpetrators remain at large. 

A judicial source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the probe has drawn up a picture of the circumstances of the attack and all will be revealed “soon”. 

The judiciary is working closely with UNIFIL and it will soon be revealed whether the attack was premeditated or not, it added. 

Investigators have heard the testimonies of the peacekeepers that survived the attack and the reasons that prompted the convoy to change its route, it said. 

Former Lebanese Ambassador to Washington Riad Tabbara told Asharq Al-Awsat that so far, there are no concerns that the peacekeepers will pull out of southern Lebanon or reduce their numbers. 

However, should the attack prove to have been premeditated, then that would mean that a “very dangerous” phase in dealing with these forces had been launched, he warned. 

UNIFIL acts as a buffer between Lebanon and Israel, neighbors which remain technically at war. The force operates near the southern border. 

Witnesses said villagers in the Al-Aqbiya area blocked Rooney's vehicle after it took a road along the Mediterranean coast not normally used by UNIFIL. 

Al-Aqbiya is just outside UNIFIL's area of operations. 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.