French Forces Seize Iranian-Supplied Weapons Bound for Yemen

Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)
Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)
TT

French Forces Seize Iranian-Supplied Weapons Bound for Yemen

Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)
Iranian weapons seized by the US Navy, bound to Houthis (US Navy)

The French naval special forces, along with their US and British counterparts, are now involved in combating the smuggling of Iranian weapons to the Houthi militias in Yemen, an indication of a noticeable change in France’s policy.

Paris announced that its Elite special forces seized a boatload of Iranian-supplied weapons and ammunition bound for Houthis in Yemen as part of a deepening effort to contain Tehran, according to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), which cited officials familiar with the operation.

On Jan. 15, the officials said, a French warship stopped a suspected smuggling ship off the Yemeni coast where the specially trained French team boarded the boat.

On board, the officials said, the French military discovered more than 3,000 assault rifles, at least a half million rounds of ammunition, and over 20 antitank guided missiles.

According to the newspaper, the operation was coordinated with the US military and is "the consequence of a more proactive French role in the fight against arms smuggling in the Middle East.”

Besides the US, Britain and France have stepped up efforts to crack down on arms smuggling to the Houthis, according to the daily.

The US Navy 5th Fleet spokesman Commander, Tim Hawkins, told WSJ that in the past two months alone, they had prevented more than 5,000 weapons and 1.6 million rounds from reaching Yemen.

Last month, the US Navy intercepted weapons aboard a fishing vessel in the Gulf of Oman believed to have come from Iran and on its way to the Houthis, the third shipment to be intercepted in two months, according to the Bahrain-US Fifth Fleet.

The US naval forces announced that a fishing vessel in the Gulf of Oman on Jan. 6 was discovered smuggling 2,116 AK-47 assault rifles while transiting international waters along a maritime route from Iran to Yemen.

The statement confirmed that the naval forces seized the shipment, which was sailing on a route historically used to illicit traffic cargo to the Houthis, and was crewed by six Yemeni nationals.

In its statement, the US Navy stressed that "the direct or indirect supply, sale or transfer of weapons to the Houthis violates UN Security Council Resolution 2216 and international law. The transfer of the vessel and its crew for repatriation is in progress."

"This shipment is part of a continued pattern of destabilizing activity from Iran," said Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, commander of US Naval Forces Central Command, US 5th Fleet, and Combined Maritime Forces.

"These threats have our attention. We remain vigilant in detecting any maritime activity that impedes freedom of navigation or compromises regional security."

Last December, the US Navy intercepted two other Iranian arms shipments in the Gulf of Oman on their way to Yemen.

According to the Navy, one of the two shipments contained 50 tons of ammunition, fuses, and fuel for missiles, while the other shipment included 70 tons of ammonium perchlorate, which is usually used in the manufacture of rocket and missile fuel, as well as 100 tons of urea fertilizers.

The UN experts on Yemen indicated that there are land routes used by arms smugglers for the Houthis from the eastern border, in addition to the sea routes used by smuggling networks coming from Iran towards the Yemeni regions.

Last Tuesday, the Navy announced that the Coast Guard vessel seized illegal drugs worth a total estimated street value of $33 million from a fishing vessel transiting international waters in the Gulf of Oman.

The US statement did not indicate the shipment's destination, which included about 4,000 kilograms of hashish and 512 kilograms of methamphetamine.

"This is just the beginning of our work delivering maritime security operations in the region to stop illicit activities and drug smuggling," said UK Royal Navy Capt. James Byron, the CTF 150 commander.

"This comes as a result of a valued partnership between CTF 150 and all partner nations in Combined Maritime Forces."

In the latest statement, the Yemeni Defense Minister, Lt. Gen. Mohsen al-Daeri, accused the international community of being complacent with the Houthis.

In his meeting last Tuesday with the UN's Military Adviser, Brigadier General Antony Hayward, Daeri warned that if the international community continues to "turn a blind eye" to the "terrorist group," its actions would threaten the whole world.

He added that the legitimate army forces in his country are facing what he described as "a terrorist group that claims the divine right to rule," calling for a strong stand to restore the state and its institutions and establish peace and stability throughout Yemen.

Meanwhile, the head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, lauded the regional, European, US, and international efforts to bring peace to Yemen.

During a meeting with European ambassadors currently visiting Aden, Alimi asserted that the Council is that of peace, but at the same time, it is determined and strong to deter any hostile escalation.

He informed ambassadors that the Houthi militia "has not and will never be a project for desired peace in Yemen."



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.