Yemeni Gov’t Denies Changing Hodeidah Port’s Access Mechanism

The King of Belgium receives in Brussels the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council (AFP)
The King of Belgium receives in Brussels the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council (AFP)
TT

Yemeni Gov’t Denies Changing Hodeidah Port’s Access Mechanism

The King of Belgium receives in Brussels the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council (AFP)
The King of Belgium receives in Brussels the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council (AFP)

The Yemeni government denied any change in inspection procedures on ships bound for the Houthi-controlled western Hodeidah port, stressing that the UN Verification and Inspection Mechanism for Yemen was still operational.

Houthis claimed that the inspection mechanism had been suspended.

The government emphasized that it will take deterrent actions against ships that violate government decisions and processes, as well as merchants and shipping brokers that do so.

Moreover, the government expressed its categorical rejection of what it described as the blackmail of commercial and shipping sectors.

It also denounced the Houthis’ tampering with the livelihood of Yemenis through suspension, prevention, and extortion.

Iran-backed terrorist Houthi militias had recently prevented the arrival of shipments of imported goods through the port of Aden and other ports under government control. Those deliveries were bound for Houthi-controlled areas.

The insurgents forced merchants to import goods through the port of Hodeidah, in a move to double their profits from taxes, customs and royalties.

The Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Commerce and Industry issued a strongly worded statement denying any changes to the government’s agreement with the UN regarding the inspection of ships bound for Hodeidah, and threatening legal action and other punitive measures against violators.

The joint statement affirmed the ministries’ keenness to regulate the movement of trade in various ports in a way that guarantees the ease of the arrival of goods and the efficiency of their transportation and delivery.

Additionally, the Yemeni government warned against believing rumors spread by Houthi militias, noting that those claims are aimed at evading commitments.

Cargo arriving at the port of Hodeidah, primarily fuel shipments, are subject to a UN inspection mechanism that ensures implementing the decision to ban the entry of weapons into areas controlled by the Houthis.



Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.


Damascus, in Cooperation with Baghdad, Foils Plot to Smuggle Drugs Abroad

Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA
Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA
TT

Damascus, in Cooperation with Baghdad, Foils Plot to Smuggle Drugs Abroad

Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA
Quantities of Captagon prepared for smuggling abroad- SANA

Syrian authorities said they have thwarted an attempt to smuggle a large shipment of drugs out of the country.

The Syrian Narcotics Directorate said on Wednesday it seized approximately 400,000 captagon pills, weighing about 65 kilograms, during an operation in Homs province in central Syria.

The drugs would have been smuggled to other countries, the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported. Two suspects were arrested on suspicion of managing a drug-trafficking network operating across borders.

The operation was carried out in coordination with Iraq’s General Directorate for Narcotics and Psychotropic Substances Control, SANA quoted a Syrian Interior Ministry statement as saying.

Earlier this month, the Syrian Narcotics Directorate conducted a joint security operation with the Iraqi authorities targeting an international drug-trafficking network, and seizing about 300,000 Captagon pills. Two people were also arrested.