Hemedti Says Regrets Participating in Military Coup in Sudan

Deputy head of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereign Council Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo during the press conference (Reuters)
Deputy head of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereign Council Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo during the press conference (Reuters)
TT

Hemedti Says Regrets Participating in Military Coup in Sudan

Deputy head of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereign Council Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo during the press conference (Reuters)
Deputy head of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereign Council Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo during the press conference (Reuters)

Deputy head of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereign Council Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo acknowledged on Sunday that he had made a mistake in participating in the October 25, 2021 coup.

Dagalo made his statement shortly after head of the Sovereign Council, army commander, Lt-Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, said the army had carried out the coup for the sake of the country.

It was the first time that Burhan described the incident as a coup. He had previously referred to it as "military measures to correct the course of the revolution."

In an address to the Sudanese people, Dagalo, also known as Hemedti, said he supported the 2018 revolution that ousted longtime President Omar al-Bashir and his regime.

The coup, he said, became a gateway for the reinstatement of members of the regime.

Hemedti, who leads the Rapid Support Forces, warned members of the regime against trying to drive a wedge between the army and its forces.

It was this situation that prompted him to leave politics and to hand over power to civilians, he explained.

He said that he had made this pledge to Burhan and that he would not back down from it.

Moreover, Hemedti said he was committed to the framework agreement, aimed at forming a unified army, according to the agreed timetables and engage in security and military reform processes.

He said the Sudanese Armed Forces is a long-established institution, which will not be exploited by any party. The framework agreement has laid a solid foundation to restore the state.

The agreement is a package that must be implemented in full, asserted Hemedti, adding that it was the only way to reach a fair and just political solution that takes end the current chaos in the country.

The signatories to the agreement are trying to persuade other forces to join the political process, he added.

Hemedti said it was time to end the political process, reach a final and urgent solution to form a transitional civil authority, and return the military back to the barracks so that it can devote itself to protecting borders and national security.

He reiterated his determination that the final political agreement was an entry point to reviving the stalled Juba Peace Agreement, completing the peace process, implementing all its provisions related to the return of the displaced and refugees, and providing them with the necessary protection.

Furthermore, he stated that the solution to the economic crisis depends on political stability and the formation of a civil government. He also appealed to the international and regional community to support the new government in Sudan.

Hemedti praised the efforts of the tripartite mechanism, consisting of the African Union (AU), Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and United Nations. He also lauded the Quartet mechanism and the "troika" group, comprised of Saudi Arabia, the US, the UAE, Britain, and Norway.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.