Iranian Regime Tightens House Arrest for Mir-Hossein Mousavi

Mir-Hossein Mousavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard in March 2019. (Kalameh website)
Mir-Hossein Mousavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard in March 2019. (Kalameh website)
TT
20

Iranian Regime Tightens House Arrest for Mir-Hossein Mousavi

Mir-Hossein Mousavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard in March 2019. (Kalameh website)
Mir-Hossein Mousavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard in March 2019. (Kalameh website)

Iranian authorities have tightened house arrest restrictions on reformist leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi.

Kalameh website, which is close to Mousavi, reported that his confinement became more restricted after he released a statement in support of the “Women, Life, Freedom Movement”, and called for a referendum to establish a new political system in Iran.

The website said authorities introduced new restrictions starting last Sunday, the 13th anniversary of when authorities first imposed the house arrest on Mousavi, his wife, reformist activist Zahra Rahnavard, and their ally, reformist leader Mehdi Karroubi.

Kalameh did not disclose the details of the new restrictions but added that it will publish more information soon.

Mousavi, who was a presidential candidate in the 2009 disputed election and has been under house arrest since 2011, said in a statement earlier this month that Iran needs “fundamental change” based on “Woman, Life, Freedom” movement.

The movement was launched in wake of the death in custody last year of Mahsa Amini, an Iranian Kurd, who was arrested by the morality police for not adhering to the country’s strict dress code for women.

In his statement, released to mark the 44th anniversary of the 1979 revolution, Mousavi also called for constitutional change.

The reformist camp has long demanded easing the strict house arrest imposed on Mousavi and his wife, arguing that their health is deteriorating.

Iranian authorities have never pressed any charges against Mousavi or Karroubi, but that might change after Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei described the latest protest movement as “sedition.”

Mousavi’s call for change was backed by several of his reformist supporters, as well as religious and political figures critical of the regime.

Authorities have, however, put pressure on dozens of political activists to withdraw their support for Mousavi.

Mousavi’s ally, former President Muhammad Khatami, issued a statement in which he implicitly distanced himself from his proposals, stressing that the overthrow of the regime “is not possible.”



ICC Concerned About Hungary's Decision to Withdraw from the Court

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)
TT
20

ICC Concerned About Hungary's Decision to Withdraw from the Court

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu shake hands at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks on April 3, 2025 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP)

The presidency of the International Criminal Court on Thursday expressed concern about Hungary's decision to withdraw from the court.
In a letter to Hungary it urged the country to continue to be a resolute party to the Rome Statute, the founding treaty of the ICC.

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban said the country would withdraw completely from the court on the same day Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu, indicted by the ICC, visited Budapest.

Orban gave the Israeli leader a welcome with full military honors in Budapest’s Castle District. The two close allies stood side by side as a military band played and an elaborate procession of soldiers on horseback and carrying swords and bayoneted rifles marched by.

As the ceremony unfolded, Orban’s chief of staff, Gergely Gulyás, released a brief statement saying that “the government will initiate the withdrawal procedure” for leaving the court, which could take a year or more to complete.

Orban later said that he believes the ICC is “a political court.”
The ICC, based in The Hague, Netherlands, said when issuing its warrant that there was reason to believe Netanyahu and former Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant had committed crimes against humanity in connection with the war in Gaza.